Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Allkiller No Filler
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
RB 25 DET engine smokes badly, due to High boost det, ring lands probably,
still ran with good oil pressure and water temp.
Should be coming out this week, on an Auto so not thrashed, mileage 55K.
No ancilliaries....long block only (Head and block) £275

·
'NISMO' 350GT
488 Posts
RB 25 DET engine smokes badly, due to High boost det ring lands probably,
still ran with good oil pressure and water temp.
Should be coming out this week, on an Auto so not thrashed, mileage 55K.
No ancilliaries....long block only (Head and block) £275
Hiya, could you explain what the "engine smokes badly, due to High boost det ring lands probably" means? what are the damaged parts that will need replacing?
i am looking for a possible engine swap for my RB20 and could possibly take on a rebuild if it not too badly damaged.
all the best, nick

·
Registered
208 Posts
Same thing happened to my RB20, started off as a top end tap, then developed into a missfire with catch tank filling up with oil and smoke from the exhaust. The broken ring land section scored the bore causing heavy blow by and loss of compression on number 5 cylinder. The engine will probably need re-boring and larger pistons (or on the affected cylinder only to cut costs).

·
Allkiller No Filler
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This was not a top end tap...it was detonation ( pinking) to lean and hot.
The engine was quick with a Z32 maf unmapped :mad: then started Detonation at high boost and that was it all over very quickly....it has great oil pressure and does not overheat.
it will more than likely be the ring lands so a few Skyline pros have told me.
I stopped the motor and got it home
I does not rattle or Knock, a couple of the guys on here have seen it run briefly and would back this up
I seriously doubt if it will need a rebore, it will need new pistons and rings in stock size and you'd be away as a quick fix.
But whats the point....Buy it, rebuild it, with all the best bits and swap it in...Job Done :smoker:

·
violence IS the answer!
1,371 Posts
I know its a little off post, but do you still have the Z32? and if so is it for sale mate? Im in need of one by this saturday as my car is going to MGT racing for my power fc to be mapped and i dont fancy having to have it re-mapped when i get one!
And am i correct in beleiving that the Z32 will plug straight in to the series 1 RB 25DET wiring harness?
Cheers matey.

·
Registered
291 Posts
If Andy doesnt take it I could well be interested as im looking for a spare block to build up into something special :)

·
Allkiller No Filler
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Andy / Martin
Someone has already "Dibs" it, if they dont have it i''ll work from down the list
cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts