Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mr Nissan seems to have put the engine temp sensor on the front of the engine and seemingly to forget that back of the engine gets extra hot.

Number 6 seems to be the one that has problems and I am wondering with ducting if this can be cooled or assisted somehow.

Vented bonnets can assist with escape of heat, but I was thinking of looking into venting to get cold ram air to tbe back of the block/Head.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Short of a duct from the front end, I have no idea, and then you run the risk of having it cooler than the rest of the engine....

I guess thats what the water circulation system is for.... Internally I suspect it shouldn't get much hotter than the rest if your cooling system is functioning properly.....

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you are joking jock ..... ( lets take this further )

Number 6 is well known for being considerably hotter than the rest and this is a problem that has been around for a long time.

Duct cooling will supply cool air from the front as I described.

Why would you not get uniform cooling, as we are talking about a conductive material which is receiving cool air, ie, Metal.

There is no air flow at the back of the head and block that is the problem I am lead to beleive.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Is airflow really the answer? Surely the coolant and oil will have more effect. Is there someway to modify flow of either so you get more near number 6 cylinder ?

Or maybe put some heat shielding between exhaust/turbo and cylinder block so you get less heat transfer that way ?

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
unpon acceleration number 6 by natural g-force gains a lot of oil as it swells to the back of the engine/head.

The problem is apparently down to airflow, look at the physical restrictions around the engine. There doesnt seem to be any space or any flow, its just dead air.

Heat shielding is an interesting point, maybe from the exhaust manfold or wrapping to keep the heat in the exhaust, and away from ancillaries.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Upon thought, yup, I agree..... Problem with ducting air is where to route the duct, and what to use......

Perhaps, as you say, venting the bonnet and maybe fitting a scoop of sorts at the rear is the simple answer, although obviously aesthetically not to everyone's tastes.

Not familiar with the R34 GTT engine bay, but is it possible to perhaps run a duct from the drivers side wheel arch area, or front bumper at that side?

·
2.8 HKSステップ3 、
3,072 Posts
What you need to do if the the route the air takes when the car is moving, There are reasons the bonnet is shaped the way it is.. I assume that the air is drawn through the front then around the engine and either up the windscreen side of the bonnet or through the bottom od the engine under the car.. but either way the volume of air moved must contribulte to the cooling of the rear of the block

·
Registered
469 Posts
If air is what you need then maybe could you just kick up the back of the bonnet a bit just in front of the windscreen. Gotta be that or vents - trying to route air out the side would be a mare on a skyline.

Another possibily - get one of those kits that sprays water on the intercooler and aim it at the back of the block instead ?

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmm i wouldnt be too happy spraying water on the block. too much of a difference in temperature and steam effect wouldnt be too good as you could potentially not see anything out the windscreen either.

Vents on the other hand are the way to go, but then I still believe there is a definite requirement for a ducting to ram hot air upwards and out the vents. This woudl be a good thing.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
How about ramming cold air into the bay from a bonnet scoop?
Venting is probably a better idea though as the air over the bonnet is at a lower pressure than air under it so vents at the rear of the bonnet would in effect suck the air out.

E

·
0 Posts
How about some sort of ducting fixed under the car that comes up at the rear of the block? Plenty of room under there.

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you beat me too it eddie. a fabricated under section lifting air up behind the block, simple answer is usually the right one. a vented bonnet would then only assist this air flow.

I like the sound of that. hmm

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Isaac's GT4 has hole in bonnet that ducts ram air to sparklers. Looks like it should have a cannon in it

·
Registered
469 Posts
Hmm, don't think water would be too much of a shock to the block if it's a fine enough spray.

Didn't think about it getting onto the windscreen though, specially as it could be quite dirty from steam cleaning your engine - maybe not a good idea after all as being able to see where you are going is always a bonus :D

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nah just use the windscreen wipers LOL.

Going to look at getting a picture of the under side/back of the block and start working towards moulding some sort of ram air section.

Also interesting in stopping the heat from the turbo would be good/Downpipe. Protection shroud down the downpipe on the bulkhead, maybe ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts