Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking all over but I can't find anything... How thick is the stock RB20DET headgasket?

And if the head needs to be machined to get it flat again, how will I know if I need a different thickness headgasket?

I have to take care of ordering the parts because my garage can't sort it through Nissan... And I need to know for sure if I'm ordering the right parts :confused:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
yeah I suppose you're right...

gave him a call, I'm just going with standard, I don't think the head will be warped enough to have to install a thicker gasket...

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
stock thickness i dont know but the amount of metal removed from the head mating surface you simply add to the gsasket

example

say the gasket is 1mm thick

you have 0.5mm removed from the head

you need 1.5mm gaskett

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah that's pretty straight forward.... But would that much be shaved off when you send it to a machine shop?? Surely it won't be that much :eek7:

·
Registered
497 Posts
How much the machine takes of depends on how deep the grooves are or how much difference there's between different places on the head.

Can not just say a amount they are taking off...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay theres .2 mm less head now, so the stock headgasket I ordered won't do.... But what do I order now? I can find Tomei headgaskets in varying sizes, but I have no idea which one to get...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I figured I'd need a 1.4mm gasket but since you can only get 1.2 or 1.5 I'll go with 1.5 and raise the boost a little hehe...

Stock gasket was 1.2mm by the way! Measured it this morning

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'll be going with one of these me thinks

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCgQrQQwAA

Think mines is on way out as coolent boiled today and rad has been over pressured for a while with anti freeze squirting around a fair old bit. HKS and cusco all do multi layered ones too just gotta pay for em and get them over here.
Norm best to replace all gaskets and studs too when changing these. One stud will always snap/ shear off

1 - 11 of 11 Posts