Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone explain to me why, after the noticeable pull at 1-2 psi, and rising psi... on up to 10 psi theres no noticeable pull? feel like im running an old honda b16 with a small turbo setup with 8 psi. it feels as if i only got about 170 hp to the wheels.

thanks!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Maybe you do have only 170bhp? What does the rolling road say?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
never poped it up on the dyno. dont wanna cough up the dough if im gonna trash this engine soon. just lots of stuff used to be wrong with it till i fixed it. guess its starting to fall apart again. used to pull nicely!

so any ideas as to why it "feels" like 170 whp?

·
Space Filler
3,218 Posts
It's a 16 year old engine, so over time it will lose a bit of power. Plus the 20 isn't the most torquey engine either. I've just shelled out for a new turbo and an AVCR for mine, with 550cc injectors and a Walboro fuel pump coming next month. Hoping it'll make a nice improvement over the stock setup, which I too find quite underwhelming.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
damnit... i suck at life again!! seams right....

ill toss in a bigger turbo, replace the afm, ignitor pack, intake pod, and regap the plugs. hopefully i get 200 to the wheels with that. then ill get a new motor and have it sit in a friends garage as i over boost this engine gradually to about 1 bar on stock internals... hoping for 240whp!!!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Sounds like your coil packs may be on the way out?

Yeah, try closing the plug gap a little, to maybe 0.8 or even 0.6mm.

If you need to try coil packs I have 4 good 'uns here for cheap.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sorry i took so long. i was in paris for 2 weeks!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why don't you with all that money get a ferrari
ferraris suck... a friends datson running an rb20det beat one at about 9.9 sec 1/4 mile. ferraris are over rated

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
check a boost pipe, you may have a boost leak.
i've checked for leaks, but i found none. i've actually took the turbo off recently to fit a new manifold and inspected blades which seamed to have been fine. any advice as to where exactly i should look?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like your coil packs may be on the way out?

Yeah, try closing the plug gap a little, to maybe 0.8 or even 0.6mm.

If you need to try coil packs I have 4 good 'uns here for cheap.
ok, i havn't checked the gap yet, ill do it this weekend and drop it down to about .8 first it give it a go. ive recently replaced 2 dead packs, and i have 9 more lying around. i even have a new MAF and replacement ignitor pack sitting in case i should ever need to replace them. oh, could it be the O2 sensor is bad? ive cleaned in with throttle body cleaner and it has slightly improved. if i should replace it, which type do i get and where can i find one?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i took a look of my car today, found all coil packs were good, and ignitor pack was good. afm was still working properly as nothing changed when i swapped out the old one for a new one. i checked the plugs and they are all gapped at .8. then i started the engine and pulled the loom wire out of the number 6 (closest to rad) and nothing happened... did the same to all other cylinders and they began to run a little rough. so now i figured out i got a bad loom that is causing that cylinder to not fire!! and i cant find a replacement anywhere!

any tips as how i can find where the wire is cut, crinked, or ripped?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:p i dont need a loom anymore. i ripped it apart today and respliced and rewired it. but im still having problems...

when i pulled out the coil pack and spark plug, they both sparked when i turned the engine over, but that cyclinder is still not firing... maybe the injector isn't spitting enough fuel in the cylinder? any advice?

·
1st RB20DET S13 in UK
389 Posts
Is the injector putting in any fuel at all?

Take off the injector plug for this cylinder, then test with a meter for voltage... on 1 of the pins, there should be a constant +12v supply (with the other meter probe to ground)... and the other pin should have continuity to Pin 101 on the ECU plug.

If both are ok, then its possible the injector is duff... can test resistance of the injector between the 2 pins... should read ~13-14 Ohms.:)

If the injector is ok, then either the spark is poor (bad plug or CP) or missing, or it could be a compression problem with the cylinder.:)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i actually messed around with the wiring and jiggled the injectors. :p they are all working adn all cylinders are firing. im still going to replace the plugs and injectors as soon as i get back in country.

·
1st RB20DET S13 in UK
389 Posts
Is the injector putting in any fuel at all?

Take off the injector plug for this cylinder, then test with a meter for voltage... on 1 of the pins, there should be a constant +12v supply (with the other meter probe to ground)... and the other pin should have continuity to Pin 101 on the ECU plug.

If both are ok, then its possible the injector is duff... can test resistance of the injector between the 2 pins... should read ~13-14 Ohms.:)

If the injector is ok, then either the spark is poor (bad plug or CP) or missing, or it could be a compression problem with the cylinder.:)
Also, a meter on pin 101 and to ground should show 10v when the engine's cranking/running.
The voltage should drop as the revs/load increases.:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts