Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 362 Posts

·
#Team Morris - FULLY F**KED
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got my rb25 lump last weekend so as i've only got till the 19th of next month to get it all sorted i thought i'd better get my arse in gear!
9am this morning made myself a cuppa and the car looked like this

by 10 am i was getting somwhere

then i stopped for a bacon sandwich! you've gotta keep your strength up working on these cars!
1pm

2pm, yay engine out!!!!!

i have to say after working on a gtr engine these are a doddle
:):)
lets hope the rest of the job goes as easy.....rb25 power here i come

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
well done mate and i hope you have plenty more pics lol

·
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
first problem with the new lump. thought i'd check those pesky exhaust manifold studs and as i put the socket on the first one it literally fell in half.
it had been blowing already as you can see by the state of the gasket.

·
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i've done nothing to the engine apart from cam belt it, the lad i bought it off said it had one recently but beings these are a piece of cake to do i slappped a new one on anyway.

·
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
after finding out exhaust manifold gaskets are the best part of £40 i've bought a s/s manifold. before you all tell me it will break i know what they are like but they are shiny!!
seriously though i used to work as a tig welder and i'l get some more wire in the joints and brace it before i put it on. did this with my mr2 turbo and it never cracked on me in 2 years.

·
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also i was wondering if i should do the cam belt cover gold as well or leave it as it is?

·
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
was gonna bolt the engine back in today but its pissing down:disappointed:
i've been getting on with some other jobs, i made my own seat rails for my bucket seat and although it was okay i was never happy with the height. so out came the tape measure,grinder and welder!
this belive it or not this is 2 hours work!

·
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
in the end it was worth it though as i've managed to drop 30mm off the seat height and i've got that low slung feeling back:)
here's how it looks now

·
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i'm keeping my rb20 loom and i'm not bothering with vvt, i had a wasted spark setup as well and i'd like to keep that so i'm using a spec one ecu with my spec two engine, i've got to solder the 25 injector plugs on to the 20 loom. and the throttle position sensor plugs are different and won't interchange. one plus point, i never had a middle cover on my rb20 lump but my leads fit nicely under the new one

·
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you going to be running a stock setup intially, or do you have a turbo upgrade in mind?
i've got a gt2530 already which is curently being re-built, i'm sticking with that. i'l be happy with high 300s plenty of torque and quick spool up

·
RB25det inside
1,253 Posts
Drove a r32 with a rb25 + a 2530 with pfc ,think it was 320-330bhp ,It does spool up fast ,zero lag with that turbo on a rb25.
Is switching the throttle position sensor plugs a straight forward cut + solder job?
Would a 25 injector loom plug into the 20 main loom ,if u have one ?

·
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
right wiring. i'm doing this as i go and there is a fair bit of guess work going on so don't copy me.............until its running! lol
here is the two different throttle position sensors, unfortunately you can't just swap them you'd have to swap the whole throttle body and there are a few different pipes here and there so i'd rather just change the wiring.
they both have 6 pins so it should be straight forward
rb20

rb25

·
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
and here's the rb25 injector sub loom which i'm gonna cut up

here's the injector plugs on the rb20 loom, half are on a sub loom, half are on the main

seems to me that the earth wire is white with a black strip on the rb20 loom
and grey on the rb25 loom, the firing wires are different colours on both engines. when i'm soldering i'l keep a record of exactly what wire and what colour as i know there is alot of wrong info floating about.

rb20

rb25

·
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Drove a r32 with a rb25 + a 2530 with pfc ,think it was 320-330bhp ,It does spool up fast ,zero lag with that turbo on a rb25.
Is switching the throttle position sensor plugs a straight forward cut + solder job?
Would a 25 injector loom plug into the 20 main loom ,if u have one ?
the throttle position sensor is a cut and solder job, and the injectors, you need both looms though.

·
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
might as well write it down here so i don't forget.
spec 2 injector loom

1 + white
2 + white/green stripe
3 + white/red stripe
4 + white/black stripe
5 + yellow
6 + white/blue stripe

all - are grey

i'm not gonna just cut the plugs off i'm going to strip back the rb20 loom and splice it in. i do like a bit of tidy wiring

1 - 20 of 362 Posts