Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After browsing the forum it seems that the common opinion is that the standard internals on the RB25 are good for 450-500bhp (correct me if i`m wrong)

What I want to know is whats usually the first thing to give up. Is it the pistons, rods, bolts etc?

Speaking from your own experience how far have people pushed the standard internals and what good results/horror stories are there?

·
Registered
89 Posts
A friend at PSR Automotive (Racing team, if you have ever seen the vid with a white Vspec II and blue standard R34 wing smoking a R1, that is thier car.) told me the RB25DET can handle up to 500HP with stock internals. So I would imagine 450ish is as far as I would push, but don't know much about skylines my self, YET.....

Chris

·
bla
17,374 Posts
Bren at apex run his gtst spec 2 at 500bhp for a while and dont think he had a problem... But as Riggan said, id go to 450bhp, anymore id change the internals just to be on the safe side..... Would be cheaper in the long run, lol....

·
4,143 Posts
what im going to do is run 450bhp or there abouts and run a 25 shot of nitrous when its big play time

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
I've been running just over 400bhp for as good as 2 years with no problems and have now added cams and a bit more boost with a few other bits and bobs so about 430bhp and she's still going fine.

Like others i wouldnt personally go above 450bhp, although they make the power and will run it from what i've seen and heard your on a shortish time line with how long it will last.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So to sum up for now the "safe" limit is 450bhp and its the pistons that are the first weak point.

What about the head gasket? If the pistons are changed what are the rods good for?

·
AKA RSP
4,762 Posts
500 is still safe on most but theres always one that may not like it.

We once tunned a engine to 560 and really pushed it as we were told it was fully built. The car was sold and the new owner decided to give it a refresh and was shocked to find that it was standard apart from a headgasket. If we had known we would not have pushed it as much.

Richard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts