Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
New Zealand Area Rep
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone

Im deciding on what is best to do with my exhaust system, did a bit of research and im going with 2 1/4 inch piping, taking out the catalytic converter (allowed to do here in nz). The guy at the shop who i booked the job with said i might be able to take out the resonator and stay under the 100DB limit (or 90 i cant remember).

The other shops i rang said that the resonator takes out the "bark" of the exhaust and the popping sounds. I have no idea what that is and was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of videos or personal experiences of not having a resonator in the exhaust system.

For the record i personally prefer a loud exhaust and love the cars that have the rumble and popping as they gear down, is taking out the resonator going to make mine pop and rumble like that?

Any info is appreciated, thanks guys :D

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
it may do. a straight though exhaust would also rob an NA of mid range torque and power unless done right. dont be tempted to go two big on the pipes. 2 and a quarter is good,

what ive done is get some cobys on mine, leave the cat inplace, put a three inch pipe from cat back into a reducer (i know three is too big... was an experiment, plus mines been ported and polished) and using a twin exit back box. double cluthing from 3rd to 4th and back downthe box sounds awsome. and she has plenty yop end to give from motorway speed (70mph uk) in fourth fifth.

i'm shortly gonna swap out the rear box for a gts s item with a flap that shuts off one side, opening a striaght through section. we'll see what that does to the note. i know from my old auto that at 4500 revs she sounded like a angry hornet with a bad attitude!

·
New Zealand Area Rep
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey hesh thanks for your reply.

Im was afraid of losing torque as i love the pull in the lower revs when i accelerate up to speed. I wanted to remove my cat because its quite old and will be clogged up, i felt quite a difference from my old skyline when the cat was removed.

3 inch is huge for an NA for sure, mines all stock right now not even a pod filter!

Was your old auto sounding like that because you took the resonator out?

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
no no . the gts s type is a bit of an odd ball slightly larger than standard (for na) bore exhaust, and the ecu opens this flap at 4500 revs inthe back box of the ehaust. that effectively gives you a striaght through, bypassing the muffler section altogether.

it is possible to wire in a switich to open and shut this at will.

id stick initially witha upgrade panel filter. pods need afiar old bit o heat sheild. few huys over here a have cut a second vent inthe bonnet above the standard air box position.

just so you know what this would sound like remove the fliter top element and start the car with no filter ...rev is a bit (perhaps do this when already warm?) and youll get and idea what that can sound like. a right old snarl like the old l20 series gtrs of the 60s.

si.

·
New Zealand Area Rep
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh i have heard of the exhaust system you speak of, a guy on here had done the switch to open flaps manually hasnt he?

Haha funny because i once drove my car with the whole airbox taken out and just the airflow sensor unit exposed and also no bonnet. The air intake is SO LOUD and the car went so hard! Ill probably do the heat sheilding and also mount the pod so i can get the "air ram" effect at high speeds.

Im still undecided whether to keep the resonator in or out though as more people i spoke to said it sounds horrible without the resonator?

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
just to be clear, when you say resonator? which bit are you meaning? we have refered inthe past to a part of the intake as the resonator box, but youre on about the exhaust right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts