Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there ...
how to tell the difference in DE and DET engines ( RB25 ) by just looking at it ??
considering the N/A one is with all the DET bolt on's ( turbo with manifold etc ).

thanks for all the answers.

cheers.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
some na's didn't have the turbo oil return bung in the block,you might be able to put the engine number through nissan fast other than that a compression test,without taking it apart,i think all det's have bulges on the cam covers for the vvt the early de's didn't.have you bought the car and are the wheels 4 stud

·
New Zealand Area Rep
213 Posts
Agree with above, plus most +t's i've seen dont have the support mount bolted to the j pipe, the tubes on the cam covers are different. You could also look at the blue build plate and see what it says.

·
New Zealand Area Rep
797 Posts
Also check for water lines, usually they are left out to make the job easier

·
Registered
63 Posts
some na's didn't have the turbo oil return bung in the block,you might be able to put the engine number through nissan fast other than that a compression test,without taking it apart,i think all det's have bulges on the cam covers for the vvt the early de's didn't.have you bought the car and are the wheels 4 stud
Be awear that "all" R33 RB25,s (both DE and DET Series 1 and 2) have the bulge on the cam belt cover, they all have VVT. Its the R32 Skyline RB25DE that doesn't have the VVT bulge. Also all R32 RB25DE and some R33 RB25's DE and DET have the plainer cam shaft covers (Series 1) while the later R33 DE and DET Series 2 had humps at the rear of the cam shaft covers aligned with the ignitor postion.
I think there is also some confusion with the R32 RB25DE as some folks call these series 1. They do not fall into "series" category. Its the R33 RB25DE and DET that come in the Series 1 and 2 designation.

Nigel

·
New Zealand Area Rep
797 Posts
Oil return is found under the exhaust manifold, there is a bung/bolt that is blanking it off.

The R32 RB25DEs have the bolts blanking off the turbo oil feed and drain and water feeds etc, although my friend went to do this conversion on his neo motor laurel and he has no blanking bolts, instead what you do in that case is buy an oil filter sandwich plate and draw the oil feed from there and also drain back.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
vvt

Be awear that "all" R33 RB25,s (both DE and DET Series 1 and 2) have the bulge on the cam belt cover, they all have VVT. Its the R32 Skyline RB25DE that doesn't have the VVT bulge. Also all R32 RB25DE and some R33 RB25's DE and DET have the plainer cam shaft covers (Series 1) while the later R33 DE and DET Series 2 had humps at the rear of the cam shaft covers aligned with the ignitor postion.
I think there is also some confusion with the R32 RB25DE as some folks call these series 1. They do not fall into "series" category. Its the R33 RB25DE and DET that come in the Series 1 and 2 designation.

Nigel
i was told some of the early r33's had the r32 engine fitted

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would be very surprised if the R33 had Non VVT RB25 engines. Possibly there are some out there that had the R32 RB25DE fitted to replace the R33's RB20E but not from factory.

The Nissan FAST parts software only shows VVT for the R33 RB25's

Nigel

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
vvt

I would be very surprised if the R33 had Non VVT RB25 engines. Possibly there are some out there that had the R32 RB25DE fitted to replace the R33's RB20E but not from factory.

The Nissan FAST parts software only shows VVT for the R33 RB25's

Nigel
so what do the bulges on the cam covers do then,whats underneath them,thanks john

·
Registered
63 Posts
so what do the bulges on the cam covers do then,whats underneath them,thanks john
Good question. I think they are there to make room for the oil splash plates over the last two sets of cams but they are there on the non bulged covers as well. Unless they are much larger splash plates

Nigel

·
Banned
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what about the internals ?? is it just the pistons and the head gasket ?? that differs those 2 engines ??

also would that be possible to run RB25DE ( stock red side feed inj ) with DET bolt ons on RB25DE stock ECU ?? would it run properly when boosting ??

i'm tryng to figure out what is going on with the car I bought ;)

cheers lads.

·
New Zealand Area Rep
797 Posts
what about the internals ?? is it just the pistons and the head gasket ?? that differs those 2 engines ??

also would that be possible to run RB25DE ( stock red side feed inj ) with DET bolt ons on RB25DE stock ECU ?? would it run properly when boosting ??

i'm tryng to figure out what is going on with the car I bought ;)

cheers lads.
yep its possible to just bolt it all on and run it, im doing that to mine soon, got all the bits and pieces. +Ts are really common in new zealand as its cheap and effective.

you CAN run it with the de ecu but at higher revs it will detonate and kill your motor really fast, its just good if you dont boost hard and you just have to make sure your fuel tank is above 1/4 all the time so you dont run into fuelling problems.

Usually just bolt it all on, get your exhaust, front mount etc put on and just drive reaaal slow off boost to a garage and get your ecu chipped or rewritten after dyno testing etc.

Its a tried and proven method many times over here, we have a lot of D1NZ drifters who do it.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
when i bolted everthing on with the de ecu i put a fuel press reg on and turn the pressure up and kept testing it with co2 meter up the exhaust while on the run

·
Choo Choo
1,254 Posts
LOL thanks to lammy's help i am in the process of this! Just got my hands on some GTST hubs because i aint driving round with 250bhp plus on 4 stud wheels with 225's rears!!!

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
i still have 4 stud with 345mm discs,and tyres don't just depend on the width the lower the profile the less they grip for accelerating and stopping at the same width tyre

·
Choo Choo
1,254 Posts
i still have 4 stud with 345mm discs,and tyres don't just depend on the width the lower the profile the less they grip for accelerating and stopping at the same width tyre
What tyre are you running? My tyres at the moment are made of wood!!!!

·
New Zealand Area Rep
213 Posts
Its the brakes you should be worried about :) I wouldn't want to drive a turb'd car on NA brakes.. the 4 stud doesn't really matter unless your making some hardcore power!

·
seeking to be one of thee top DE+t conversions
1,523 Posts
LOL thanks to lammy's help i am in the process of this! Just got my hands on some GTST hubs because i aint driving round with 250bhp plus on 4 stud wheels with 225's rears!!!
why not, Im in the process of turbo'n my n/a...another month or so it will be ready to get in all mapped up. Im running 4 stud hubs on mine still with the gtst brake setup. My tires are 255's on the rear so im not worried about the 5 stud hubs...for now

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
tyres

What tyre are you running? My tyres at the moment are made of wood!!!!
i have 245/40x17 on the back at the moment but they spin just as easy as the original 205/60x15 i have some 245/50x 16's as well which are a little better but the front won't fit over my front discs so i can't use them anymore,it is dependent on the compound and pressure of the tyre aswell,the next ones on will be 255/50x17

1 - 20 of 23 Posts