Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
Just thought i'd better start a thread on here to update the last 6 months of work that has been done transforming my car from its original 4 cylinder CA18DET into the luuuurrrrvvverrrlllyy RB25DET engine.:dogpile:

I probably should have started this back then really and as such its gonna take ages to sort out whats been done from the beggining!:spank:

So, when we began, the car was running a forged ND engine with GT2871R producing 365bhp....Looking like this:

Still looks the same now (albeit a HELL of lot dirtier!) but the crucial difference will be under the bonnet of course!
Before: (taken a few years back)

And a few more recent shots...

So, when it came down to wanting more power (back in May) i was faced with the choice of sticking with the CA or going for the RB! Of course it made much more sense for reliability and ease of power to go for the RB but it was ,obviously, the more expensive choice!! Bearing in mind also i was never going to stick a std. RB25 in there!!

So, of course i went with the RB option and quickly found an engine and cross member complete loom etc...

The plan was to re-build the engine and obtain parts to support upto around 450hp:

-RB25DET engine, box and all parts needed for the conversion
-New Nissan oil pump
-New Nissan water pump
-New ACL Race engine bearings.
-Cometic 1.3mm metal head gasket
-New rings and seals
-Nissan complete engine gasket kit
-Greddy timing belt
-SARD 620cc injectors
-Top feed fuel rail
-'Aftermarket' inlet plenum
-90mm throttle body
-Garrett GT3040R duel BB turbo
-ACT heavy duty paddle clutch
-Lightweight flywheel
-Apexi Power FC and Commander
-Bumper mounted Intercooler
-whole host of other stuff i cant remember now!

Will add some more in a bit......!

·
Registered
914 Posts
thats similar to the spec i will be running and i think if you used something other than a power fc you will be looking at more than 450bhp why are you going top feed injectors, i have decided to go 850 side feeds now due to the amount of people telling me theres a better spray pattern and easier instalation, any progress pics, il be keeping an eye on this, are you doing any internal work like pistons or rods, and what boost are you hoping to run, cheers jamie

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys:) Just trying to find some more pictures and i'll carry this on!
Mark: Its a Version Select kit (imported by DME motorsport)

Jamie, i went with top feed simply because the inlet manifold that we both got came with a new fuel rail which would only work with top feed injectors.:) They are installed and ready to go...Will get the pics up in a while so you can see:)

I'm going to stick with std internals for now. Having seen Bren (from Apex) hit 600hp on std internals its more than enough assurance for me that 450 will be fine:D Although we all know how easy it is to get used to the power....lol

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok, before i put any more progress pics up, The man doing all the work on my car is a guy called Stu who has a lovely S13 200sx with an even nicer RB30DETT installed in it:eek: This guy knows 200's and Nissan engines inside out and has done all the mechanical work on my car over the last 3 years!

Of course, going for a drive in this had no effect on my decision to go RB!:disappointed: :rofl: If you have'nt seen this car before it is currently running a RIPS built RB30 with twin hybrid T28's giving 515hp at 1.4 bar boost! I can honestly say i've never been in anything more brutal(and scary!):smoker:

Ok, back to my car!...

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
that car looks stunning mate:drool: more of that one mate:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

yas back to your car mate and good thread keep us updated :dogpile:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Cant seem to find alot of the pictures i thought i took so not many of the strip down and re-build but we all know what the insides of an RB looks like by now!

So after strip down the bottom end looked in great condition with no visable wear on the crank. The pistons and con-rods were also fine and we intended to just clean up and de-coke the pistons. The top end was a bit worse for wear and had signs of overheating in the past. This was later confirmed when it went to a machine shop and they found the head was slightly warped.

Stu stripped the entire engine down to check all the parts and then began re-building it as parts came in.

Some of the parts to go on:

Jun style Inlet mani

90mm TB

GT3040R turbo:)

In the time it took to rebuild the engine i decided to give the engine bay a once over by cleaning it up and painting it black.

Before:

And during:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The rebuild of the engine went pretty smoothly.
Here we have the bottom end built up with all new bearings, new oil and water pumps and cleaned up pistons.

1st major problem:

:spank:

So we decided to get a spacer plate to move the turbo away from the mani a bit more.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Once the bottom end was complete and the head had come back from the machine shop (It was skimmed and rebuilt by them) we got on with dropping the engine in!

Starting with the bottom end (dont worry the old oil fiter is there just to cover the hole! We will be changing it!)

Bottom end installed:

Head on:

^You can see the 800cc top feed injector set-up with new fuel rail.

Below:Its going to be a tight fit when the gearbox goes on and the engine tilts back a bit!

TB on and cam covers and timing belt 'placed' on:

Turbo on to see how much space we had to play with:

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
very nice pics mate and nice bay. amazing what black paint can do

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

These are the latest progress pictures. Here we have almost all the wiring done, just waiting for some injector plugs from rising sun and we can start to finish it off. Still got to install the gearbox and have the custom prop made up then were nearly there!

The big battery is'nt staying as its right in the way of where the IC pipe will be going! These will have to be custom made as nothing we have fits! lol

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looking to run a reliable 450 ish hp. The turbo is from ATP in the States. In this trim its good for just over 500hp:) They do a bigger trim which is good for 600!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey Jez, glad to see yours nearly there now mate, and very much putting my RB powered S13 to shame too!!!

Can't wait for a spin in this when it's done matey, great WIP thread :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Small update.

Have got some more parts in that we have been waiting for so yesterday Stu trial fitted the gearbox and made up a new x-member for it.

Unfortuantely, with the gearbox fitted the engine sits back into its correct position and the inlet manifold fouls on the clutch master cylinder! We have a few solutions lined up for this so hopefully it wont be too much of a problem!

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is what we did with my cylinder when if needed moving back.

the second photo you can see how we shortened the rod by cuting and welding....

pm me on sxoc if you need to know more.

I could take it out and photo it all away from the car as its dry again now....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 99 Posts