Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, so last week after a hard drive my R34 GTT has a pretty loud whining/wirring Noise coming from the front of the Engine.

Its hard to catch on Camera since theres a lot of windnoise coming from the Ventilator in the front, i guess you can hear it the best while idling after reving it:

This Noise gets louder with higher rpm, and is almost louder than the Exhaust at 6-7k rpm. It also happens with both clutch engaged and not.

My guess is either the Timingbelt (but what exactly? I dont think it tighten up itself harder than the week before) or a secondary belt like the alternator (since i had a popped headlight bulb after the drive last week, maybe it overcharged and killed itself?).

I know my way around a engine, but i'm not a mechanic and don't have proper equipment to lift the car and investigate blindly, so any hint is appreciated!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sounds like it might be a pulley, like the alternator pulley or something, you could try taking off the auxillary belt and starting it briefly to see if the noise is gone, if it is gone then you know its a pulley. If it still makes that sound then you know its something else. Just dont run it for to long with no belt on as the alternator wont be charging your battery!!

·
Super Moderator
9,067 Posts
Doesn't sound particularly loud to me, have you changed any belts lately could be the cam belt too tight it's common for it to wine if tensioned wrong, older belts can often be noisy especially in damp cold weather.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice, ill try to run it without the alternator belt and stuff to see if it stops.
The noise is new, newer than the Timing Belt, im not sure but i think the Tensioner can't tension the belt harder than it was? It could only loose up over time, IIRC.

·
Super Moderator
9,067 Posts
Yes you can easily over tighten the belt and cause noise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts