Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, sorry if this is a bit of a stupid post but i just wanted some honest opinions on peoples experiences and knowledge on this.

I will be fitting my RB to my sx over the next few months and aiming to sit around 350 ish BHP. Ive read some threads where people say these engines are amazing and near indestructable but others where people say they can break if used too much (which to me sounds like every engine).

Anyway, my plans are to DWYB at POD once a month and maybe 2 or 3 hour long soft drift sessions during each month.

Everytime i drive my car i make sure the engine is always fully warmed up water wise and that the oil is warmed up and flowing smoothly allowing easy mobility of the crank and internals aswell as the turbo before i even debate giving it a bit of boost. I service my car fully atleast once a year (doing maybe 3000 miles a year max) always using top of the range oils/ plugs etc.

The car is currently used as my daily runner to work and back along side my motorbike, i run N/A power to work and back never boosting (maybe 7 miles there and 7 back in total) so car isnt just used for high revs and thrashing about bends.

If this is the case once the RB is in the car does anyone think i am likely to be suffering from big end problems or oil starvation etc etc?

And also what people would recomend for these driving conditions such as oil wise for engine, box and diff?

Im planning on spending quite a bit of money making sure this RB is next to reliable so just want to make sure people agree with the investment :)

Thank you in advance!
Dave

·
RB25det inside
1,253 Posts
I've used my 380bhp rb25 on road + drifting for the past 2.5years + it never came me any problems.
Fitted a nismo thermostat,alloy rad and a oil cooler.
I did make my own head drain kit ,also enlarged and baffled the sump.
Internals + head gasket are still stock.
Engine oil : Mobil 1 15w 50 + Silkolene 15w 50
Gearbox oil : Nissan spec
Diff oil : Silkolene BOA 90 LS

·
Registered
385 Posts
As above. Especially with the head drain kit but I think that is mostly for the RB26 that has that issue. At 350 bhp you won't have much issues though. The engine should be reliable as long as you do your before/during/and After race checks. Its when you start getting into the higher 400bhp levels and above that the RB starts to be an attention Whore. Amazing performance... when it works. The higher HP numbers will require higher quality parts, don't bother with the cheaper stuff, and of course more maintenance as would with any engine. Its all about being pro active, preventive maintenance, stay on top of things and you'll be happy.

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
head drain aint needed IF you sort out crank case pressure eg vent the sump.

·
Registered
71 Posts
RB is pretty much bomb proof IMO up to 400hp as said. The place I'd spend money, is binning the stock turbo, chances are the if it gets that much abuse, that the ceramic blades will shat themselves, one blade in piston, bye bye engine. Uprate it to one with steel internals, should be easier in an S-body as you don't have to worry about the 6 bolt down pipe

·
Registered
385 Posts
head drain aint needed IF you sort out crank case pressure eg vent the sump.
if you vent the sump, isn't that the same thing that the race kit does? :) anyway added a baffle plate as well, but we are talking up in the 600hp range now! Will be out and about soon! Hope you see us around!

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
if you vent the sump, isn't that the same thing that the race kit does? :) anyway added a baffle plate as well, but we are talking up in the 600hp range now! Will be out and about soon! Hope you see us around!
no it is not.

the head drain kit just lets the oil at the back of the head return to the sump. It gets trapped there due to too much pressure in the crank case. this can be solved without messing with the head by fitting a vent pipe to the bottom on a catch can then link up the top of it as per normal.

You dont see any head drain kits on rips cars do you as they have the catch can draining to the sump which also acts as i vent if there is too much pressure.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Too late! We did the drain kit! lol probably would have cost a lot less and been just as effective to vent it. Something never thought about! Thanks for being late! haha!

Going to be opening up for some spots soon. Will be in another post later. Next season spots for Engine tech, suspension tech, and spotter will be open. Will post when I get more details. This is will be for the competition car and yes you get some pay for your work!

no it is not.

the head drain kit just lets the oil at the back of the head return to the sump. It gets trapped there due to too much pressure in the crank case. this can be solved without messing with the head by fitting a vent pipe to the bottom on a catch can then link up the top of it as per normal.

You dont see any head drain kits on rips cars do you as they have the catch can draining to the sump which also acts as i vent if there is too much pressure.

·
Registered
442 Posts
id say it depends how much your car gets drifted aright saying its been drifted for 2 years how many driftdays have you done in 2 years? some people do one day a month other people do 6 ect

my car is out 3 weekends a month at comps/practice days it running 410 bhp and iv killed a forged engine, a stock engine and blown head gasket on my current engine this year up to now and im seriously thinking about replacing it with a v8 for reliability iv had nothing but trouble with rb25's this year

·
Registered
84 Posts
my rb25 failed drifting at lydden hill, the oil pump gave up on me apparently with age and abusive this is quite common so while engine is out id put a new pump on it

·
Thinks he can Drift
2,619 Posts
I'll be keeping mine stock power and going v8... Seems like every day I've been too someone (usually Adam) has shat an oil pump, blown a gasket or throwing away all their ringlands lol

But as Adam says it depends just how much abuse the engine takes... There is no such thing as 100% reliable in a Motorsport car :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts