Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys,

i am new in this forum but ive been through some posts though to get some information.
Still there are some things i still wanna know because i couldnt find any answers / suggestions for that.

I am looking forward to buy a R33 GTST. its my dream since at least 5 years..

finally i can fulfill it... i am in the Army and i deployed recently so i can afford one easily once im back...
sooo lets get down...

first of all i wanna drive it stock (without big power upgrades). maybe some catback and a couple of small mods.
but in advance i wanna know how reliable the engine is on stock internals.
ive read people had their skys (R33 GTST RB25DET) on around 450-500 hp with stock internals.
but is this realiable tho?
the SKY will be my summer dayli. i think 250 hp rwd will be fun enough for some years. ive had 4 Hondas - 2 CRX, one Prelude and right now im driving some Accord Coupe US model, so its my first RWD car with a strong engine.
ive read about something like soft and hard mapping, so you can choose on what you wanna drive right now - is this worth it or any good?

if i wanna be on the safe side to ride on 450-500 hp, what would your expierences say id have to change to make it solid and reliable?

im really new into all of that so please have mercy guys ive never been driving a turbo before and i dont have that much knowledge about that topic (thats why i ask for your help)

Thank you guys in advance i appreciate any help!

·
Terry
1,958 Posts
Hi
The engine is bullet proof and good for max 450bhp I would say although some may say 400 is safest. If you want more then a head gasket change to a metal one would be advised other mods would be injectors air flow meter fuel pump and front mount inter cooler.

Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alrig
Hello guys,

i am new in this forum but ive been through some posts though to get some information.
Still there are some things i still wanna know because i couldnt find any answers / suggestions for that.

I am looking forward to buy a R33 GTST. its my dream since at least 5 years..

finally i can fulfill it... i am in the Army and i deployed recently so i can afford one easily once im back...
sooo lets get down...

first of all i wanna drive it stock (without big power upgrades). maybe some catback and a couple of small mods.
but in advance i wanna know how reliable the engine is on stock internals.
ive read people had their skys (R33 GTST RB25DET) on around 450-500 hp with stock internals.
but is this realiable tho?
the SKY will be my summer dayli. i think 250 hp rwd will be fun enough for some years. ive had 4 Hondas - 2 CRX, one Prelude and right now im driving some Accord Coupe US model, so its my first RWD car with a strong engine.
ive read about something like soft and hard mapping, so you can choose on what you wanna drive right now - is this worth it or any good?

if i wanna be on the safe side to ride on 450-500 hp, what would your expierences say id have to change to make it solid and reliable?

im really new into all of that so please have mercy guys ive never been driving a turbo before and i dont have that much knowledge about that topic (thats why i ask for your help)

Thank you guys in advance i appreciate any help!
Hi
The engine is bullet proof and good for max 450bhp I would say although some may say 400 is safest. If you want more then a head gasket change to a metal one would be advised other mods would be injectors air flow meter fuel pump and front mount inter cooler.

Enjoy

alright thanks bud! but the turbo wont make it right? ive head from people changing it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No turbo will need upgrading the guys here often use a hybrid init based on the old unit being upgraded. So I believe not had mine done as happy to sit mine at 330bhp

oh yeah ive read about this! people forge them with steel material inside.
so youre running on 330 bhp?
can i get a big turbo which can handle 400-600 bhp but im only driving on 350 bhp?
do you have many mods?

·
Terry
1,958 Posts
There are particular Ecus that will enable multiple maps I believe such as haltech or link G4 and others. I never went this route as had a local U.K. guy fit and map a modified ecu. He maps them to be safe not dragging every ounce of Bhp at risk of engine.

I have standard stage 1 mods ie front mount intercooler uprated fuel pump remapped ecu that’s about it if I recall right. I would love to go to 400 but can’t justify the extra £1k for 70 bhp more to be honest. Anyhow 330 is lively enough.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are particular Ecus that will enable multiple maps I believe such as haltech or link G4 and others. I never went this route as had a local U.K. guy fit and map a modified ecu. He maps them to be safe not dragging every ounce of Bhp at risk of engine.

I have standard stage 1 mods ie front mount intercooler uprated fuel pump remapped ecu that’s about it if I recall right. I would love to go to 400 but can’t justify the extra £1k for 70 bhp more to be honest. Anyhow 330 is lively enough.

oh okay. lucky you!
how much is stage 1 ~ ? i think its decent right?
oh yeah i cant even imagine 330 bhp how it feels like.. damn... must be fun huh? did u feel a big difference?

·
Terry
1,958 Posts
The difference is brilliant bit lairy at times in the damp but fun none the less

I spent around £900 at the time. One other item I forgot you need is a better air filter from the standard box one I have a Apexi one but did have a HKS mushroom one before which was good

·
Administrator
25,957 Posts
25dets are reliable and can handle the power HOWEVER what you need to remember is the engine will be old and tired,mine had 35000 miles on it but still broke its ringlands around 300bhp.

a lot of peaple spend loads of money bolting go faster parts on and spend nothing on suspension or brakes and then cant afford to repair the engine when it goes bang. best advice is pull engine and forge the internals first because then you can run it on standard parts and then aftermarket parts with no worries

·
Registered
564 Posts
If I was to start over again I'd decided what bhp I wanted and then build it to take more as you will want to go higher at some point.
As mentioned above start with the engine and rebuild / forge it so it can handle the power.
I wouldn't bother with a hybrid turbo I'd go straight for a bigger turbo setup and detune and run it at lower bhp like 350 / 400 and then work on rest of car to handle the power like brakes suspension as these cars are old now.
Mines 25 years now.
Then when thats done you'll be bored of the power and that point I'd have a remap for extra bhp.
Buy once right first time.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts