Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just about ready to put my RB25 into my 300zx but before I do that I went to recheck my timing belt before just for a piece of mind (I did this a few years back). I began to second guess myself and I wanted to make sure I did this right.

Obviously, after you take off the old timing belt, you position the intake and exhaust cams to line up with the marks on the backplate with the marks on the gears, and the same goes for the crank sprocket; the belt is supposed to have a 1/4 inch deflection if tensioned right from what I heard also (Is this actually correct?). My question is, was I supposed to make sure the engine was at TDC before I started aligning the timing marks? Also, am I supposed to rotate the engine by hand until the timing marks lined up again? After a few rotations with it being timed already, they didn't line back up. Some said it would take many many turns for it to line up.

When I first put the timing belt on, I researched how to do it and I couldn't find answers to my questions, but I'm thinking I probably didn't look hard enough. Hopefully, I am doing this right and I'm just second-guessing myself but it doesn't hurt to make sure while the engine is still on the stand. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What if I didn't do step one and two; all I did was remove the crank pulley how it was and manually positioned all the gears to the factory timing marks. Is it fine or is there something I need to do to fix this

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could be 180 degrees out

Take cyl 1 spark plug out, stick a long screwdriver or similar into the hole and confirm that it is at the top of its stroke when the crank mark is lined up
Did that today and Cylinder #1 was at TDC. I also rechecked my tension and torqued everything to spec. I feel confident that i did it right and rechecking with you guys helped give me peace of mind, thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts