Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Holy f**k sir are we really on our roof?
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is running a top mount on they're rb25? I'll be taking my R34 to 450-500bhp shortly and i want to go top mount, for looks as much as anything as i have done away with the standard intake plenum. What is a good turbo/manifold for this kind of power? e.g. not too laggy etc. Any feedback welcome :dance:

All other aspects of the engine will be uprated to cope with the power also...

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
depends on how much money you have :)

·
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
depends on how much money you have :)
Ha ha ha not a pile Ian! Wouldn't wanna go too mental with money but i do want something good perhaps HKS? I'd like feedback from people who are running this kind of power or who have gone for top mount

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
japspeed do top mount manifolds for the r33 gtst rb25 as i think the neo may be different, best ask about that one. they dont cost too much compared to the full race ones that are around 1k! they will need supports made though as even the blitz ones crack in the end.

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
dont just go for the biggest you can find tho Darren - a TD05 20g should help you see 450 no probs but someone else can probably give you a better turbo to chase up.

Bear in mind you want 450-500 but that to come on quick rather than it making boost at 4000rpm or something so it slams you in the seat and doesn't let up. Its just a thought - sometimes responsiveness makes a car feel shedloads faster than just bhp figures, and ideally you want a turbo that can make that power but bring it in quick too :) Companies like Mines dont go for the biggest stuff yet their cars scare the hell out of race-track drivers thru them tinkering with the right balance of responsiveness & handling.

like Ian says - get a good manifold - some are prone to cracking under the weight but tbh I dunno how common that is really. Also (like Ian says lol) if you can brace/support the manifold and turbo then that will certainly help.

I wanna do this now hahaha!

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
well the one that is on redline's gtr is a blitz one and that started to crack as did the one on keith's old grey 33.

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
All Manifolds crack the best thing is BRACE, BRACE and did i mention BRACE!!

As for the turbo for 450-475bhp i'd suggest a HKS 3037 pro, for 475-500bhp you still wont beat a TD06 and for 500-530bhp the RSP custom turbo.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Got an Apexi s.s.manifold with Apexi RX6 turbo and yes my manifold has cracked and been repaired,not that bad a job cost wise.Cheers.

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
All Manifolds crack the best thing is BRACE, BRACE and did i mention BRACE!!

As for the turbo for 450-475bhp i'd suggest a HKS 3037 pro, for 475-500bhp you still wont beat a TD06 and for 500-530bhp the RSP custom turbo.
i didnt think there were doing that turbo anymore or for a while due to problems with getting the elbow?

·
Alloy Junkie
2,499 Posts
I wouldnt bother with a TD06, its old hat. Get yourself a garret GT3076R ball bearing turbo. Its what HKS base there 3037 on, but charge a hell of a lot more for fiddling with.

With regards to manifolds, do a search, there a few places in OZ that make really good soild lasting top mounts, exterme turbo manifolds, 6-Speed (or is it 6-Boost?!) and RIPS of course.

If you want a manifold that will never crack, stick with your own cast low mount and stick a garrett GT30 or HKS3037 on it.

Thats my 2p

:cheers:

·
Registered
983 Posts
I wouldnt bother with a TD06, its old hat. Get yourself a garret GT3076R ball bearing turbo. Its what HKS base there 3037 on, but charge a hell of a lot more for fiddling with.

With regards to manifolds, do a search, there a few places in OZ that make really good soild lasting top mounts, exterme turbo manifolds, 6-Speed (or is it 6-Boost?!) and RIPS of course.

If you want a manifold that will never crack, stick with your own cast low mount and stick a garrett GT30 or HKS3037 on it.

Thats my 2p

:cheers:
good advice imo. that's what i'm doing :)

·
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats great guys thanks, checked out extreme manifolds work its very very nice!! They are agents for turbosmart also and can do a kit for RB20 25 and 26 engines. Haven't really seen much of turbosmart though... anyone any imput on them??

·
Registered
400 Posts
I am looking at getting an uprated turbo for mine aswell dude! only lookg for aroun 350-400 bhp tho, is a td06 25g the best for that sort of power?
U decided wt tubby your getting then buddy?
Anyidea of how much it cost for rsp to fit it etc...?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Greddy top mount

is what im running on my standard Rb25 with a Turbonetics AR65 turbo putting out 549bhp and it does work really well and is good for 700+bhp. It does have a bit of lag but hey when the boost kicks in LOOK OUT ha ha ha
Regards, Thwish

1 - 20 of 28 Posts