Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been bugging me for a while. Purely for the sake of curiosity.

We all know that an RB26 is the way to go for monstrous neck breaking power, but what I can't fully understand is why? I take peoples word for it.

For example, if you go over say 500bhp in either, you're going to be getting forged internals. If you're getting forged internals, you're probably boring out the block and getting bigger pistons too. The cost on each has got to be roughly the same, and the difference in engine capacity minimal. And is it not pretty much the same block?

So why is the RB25DET so much more of a challenge?

Educate me.

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
The advantage of the RB26 is upto 550bhp-600bhp you wont need to change the rods, although even for the RB25 they aren't silly expensive.

The RB26 also has the advantage of solid lifters so can rev a fair bit higher which means you can take advantage of the bigger turbos for more power.

For me though I believe the RB25 seems to be better at taking abuse as the RB26's seem to be prone to spinning bearings.

I certainly wouldn't say the RB25 is more of a challenge, it's all about the right parts as with any big bhp build.

The RB26 & RB30's seem to be the way to go with 1000bhp builds and upwards.

·
stuck in the middle .....with you
8,249 Posts
aparently RIPS have seen 800 bhp rb26's running with stock internals....obviously not recommendatory lol,i found my rb25 running 443 bhp was very stressed,had to run 1.3 bar to get that power and i hated running that (never could get it below 1.3 bar either),good car,fast but it bent a rod and melted a piston,and made a mess of the bore...,i run 430 bhp in my gtr now,its only at 1 bar,its smooth as silk,revs higher and just feels very under stressed...just my experience though,the problem with this thread is all the rb25 owners will defend their engine to the hilt and so will the rb26 owners ...itll just end up another argumentative thread going nowhere

·
8,249 Posts
also people think running with forged internals will save the engine no matter what happens....well,,,,det is det,,itll kill a forged engine just like itll kill an stock one

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the problem with this thread is all the rb25 owners will defend their engine to the hilt and so will the rb26 owners ...itll just end up another argumentative thread going nowhere
I'm just genuinely curious. I have no care of which is better. I pretty much run stock. I just want to understand the differences.

At the lower end of the scale, they're pretty clear. A GTR (or an RS260 if you drive a Stagea like me :) ) will cost a lot more. A doddle to get to 400bhp, but a GTST not massively difficult, there's just some clear differences which come down to personal preference and budgets.

It always seems to be the general consensus though, that if you want big, BIG power, then you want a GTR. And I can understand it around the 500-600bhp mark, as both engines will require a bit of money thrown at them, and the GTR is better set up out of the box, so to say.

But after that. Unless you want it blown to smithereens. And I don't even know what smithereens are, but you're going for pretty much forged everything....and it's at this point I don't know where the engine's differ.

It would seem I'm being told my assumptions, and what everyone keeps saying on the various forums are incorrect. But I don't know. There doesn't seem to be many 600bhp+ GTSTs about... Maybe it's a financial thing, and GTR owners just tend to have more money??

Or maybe there are some real advantages to the RB26?

·
8,249 Posts
i dont know enough to answer that but like you say,i have not really seen any gtst's above 600 brake,also project gtst used an rb26 when he got to the higher end of the scale,dont know why though,me personally..if i ever got another gtst for whatever reason i would stick it at stage 1 330-350 bhp and leave it there as in my past experience with 5 gtst's i found the stage 1 cars were more reliable,smoother to drive and easier to live with...and to be honest there was not a lot between a well setup stage 1 car and a stage 3 (443 bhp which i had) apart from bragging rights

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
aparently RIPS have seen 800 bhp rb26's running with stock internals....obviously not recommendatory lol,i found my rb25 running 443 bhp was very stressed,had to run 1.3 bar to get that power and i hated running that (never could get it below 1.3 bar either),good car,fast but it bent a rod and melted a piston,and made a mess of the bore...,i run 430 bhp in my gtr now,its only at 1 bar,its smooth as silk,revs higher and just feels very under stressed...just my experience though,the problem with this thread is all the rb25 owners will defend their engine to the hilt and so will the rb26 owners ...itll just end up another argumentative thread going nowhere
It's the turbo that was stressed on your RB25 mark not the engine, stressing the turbo generated heat which killed the engine.
The fact that you can now make [email protected] is down to the turbos not the engine, I make [email protected] bar because of the turbo not engine.

From what I've read on the net the GTR has better exhaust ports, 1mm thicker head bolts as well which are all things which help for the big bhp reliabilty.

The RB25DET 1000bhp build I posted earlier gives for some good reading.

·
Registered
689 Posts
the differance is its easier 2 change de spark plugs on a rb26dett than it is on rb25det...lol:funny:

·
8,249 Posts
It's the turbo that was stressed on your RB25 mark not the engine, stressing the turbo generated heat which killed the engine.
The fact that you can now make [email protected] is down to the turbos not the engine, I make [email protected] bar because of the turbo not engine.

From what I've read on the net the GTR has better exhaust ports, 1mm thicker head bolts as well which are all things which help for the big bhp reliabilty.

The RB25DET 1000bhp build I posted earlier gives for some good reading.
Was one of RSP's hybrid stage three turbo's,that was in top condition ,i think the map was not as good as it could be though but im not going any further into that :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
bad map?
:p

But from what I've read, the internals of a stock rb26 are simply stronger than an rb25, that why some people upgrade to rb26 crank+conrods.
But forge up a rb25 and you'll be safe for most non-insane hp numbers. Question is if it's cheaper and easier to get a fully built rb25 block or swap to an rb26.

Personally I'm still working out what to go for when I've got funds to spend on more power.

·
Registered
689 Posts
my way a rb25det engine goes for 2000 and a rb26dett goes for 3000.....ill be saving up de extra grand.....but keeping it rwd

·
8,249 Posts
a GTR is rear wheel drive.......but lets not go there haha

anyway to make a gtst run attessa will cost soooooo much money and time its unreral

·
Registered
689 Posts
I was told by a guy at predatormotorsports in kerry that I could get a gtt car and a gtr engine and the 4 wheel drive system outa a stagea ...... And I could have a automatic gtr...... Is this true? B4 u say it I need an automatic coz of my gimpy leg

·
8,249 Posts
I was told by a guy at predatormotorsports in kerry that I could get a gtt car and a gtr engine and the 4 wheel drive system outa a stagea ...... And I could have a automatic gtr...... Is this true? B4 u say it I need an automatic coz of my gimpy leg
dont know about the stagea system but i believe its different to gtr....

1 - 20 of 49 Posts