Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! I will be importing my very first R32 GTR skyline from japan in the coming months. As a future GTR owner as well as person who cares about their cars, I of course have some questions. I will be aiming for 450awhp. From doing a bit of research, the earlier models of the RB26 had the shorter snout which caused premature oil pump failure. Now some people's "fix" is to use an N1 oil pump or equivalent, but also doing a little more research, people have still managed to break these oil pumps. So the best fix I have found is to get a new crank from Nissan with the extended snout, or get a crank collar, ground down the old collar and refit the new one. Overall, my question is this. what is needed to safely reach my target hp without having the oil pump issue?

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Don't rev the bollocks out of it... Simple

·
Registered
646 Posts
The N1 is a decent pump, but the tomei has had the least amount of issues. Remax made some gears to fix the problem or you could also get a new crank.

·
Super Moderator
9,034 Posts
I am inclined to believe that some of the reported problems with the so called oil pump/crank nose are actually caused by a faulty/worn/not used damped crank pulley, IE high RPM in conjunction with badly or undamped ancillary belt pulley causing unnatural load on crank nose/pump and subsequent failure.

·
Chris Moodley
27 Posts
Hey Justin, Better you take the necessary precautions. I just ran my Bearings on my R32 a few weeks back. Sounds like that collar thing mentioned above.
At least in the UK you have options of where to shop. Down in SA we have to rely on the internet only. But sound advice and picked up a few tricks as well on this thread. Thanks gents.

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
Hello Everyone! I will be importing my very first R32 GTR skyline from japan in the coming months. As a future GTR owner as well as person who cares about their cars, I of course have some questions. I will be aiming for 450awhp. From doing a bit of research, the earlier models of the RB26 had the shorter snout which caused premature oil pump failure. Now some people's "fix" is to use an N1 oil pump or equivalent, but also doing a little more research, people have still managed to break these oil pumps. So the best fix I have found is to get a new crank from Nissan with the extended snout, or get a crank collar, ground down the old collar and refit the new one. Overall, my question is this. what is needed to safely reach my target hp without having the oil pump issue?
The N1 pump is an uprated pump but does NOT fix the crank short snout issue. The problem lies with the crank design, not the oil pump... You would have the same problem if you fitted a Tomei, HKS, Jun, or any other oil pump. New crank or a crank collar are the only fixes for this issue.

However the N1 pump is a decent item- as has been said stick with reasonable rev limits and you should not have a problem. Revving them beyond their design capability (and for 450HP in an RB26 there is no need) is what kills them.

We have sold loads and never had an issue, and I have personally spoken to every tuner and builder of RB engines I can think of and none of them have had an issue with an N1 pump in a VERY long time.

But all the old horror story threads are still to be found online...

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have a 93 r32gtr they changed to a longer crank that year ,I'm running 554 bhp on the standard internals , I have spoken to a tuner who said 7.5k rpm could kill it so I stick to 7k max but normally change 6.5k , they did say I should get a crank damper pulley to reduce shock to the standard pump which is sintered material same as n1 ,reimax gears are billet so can take more abuse . Recently I've seen a spline drive pump internals from supertec which seems a good idea to spread the shock load away from one contact point which seems a good idea

·
Registered
13 Posts
The problem indeed is with the flat drive system and even a replacement collar using tighter clearances if bounced on the limiter or if the bottom end is not balanced will cause inner gear failure.

RB26 were designed to rev and tuners who advise no more than 7k are not addressing the problem. If they say yes go over 7k and the pump fails the customer will try to hold them liable.

Long nose or short nose crank make no difference because and will both potentially cause a failure.

Having sold over 80 sets we have yet to report any problems my own engine during development we pushed to over 9000 rpm on the dyno using an N1 pump. We also have several drag spec 1200 Bhp cars using our kits for the Tomei pump with no issues.

As we are not registered traders here you can find us on GTR.co.uk or Google us Supertec Racing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts