Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I'm new to the forms. Just picked up a r32 gtr 8 days ago and Last night I started to hear a knock noise I really can't tell you where it is coming from but it sounds like the head I also filmed a video from inside the car you can really hear it when I get close to the dash any help will be much appreciated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVoAxOji7rk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

·
AKA RSP
4,762 Posts
Most common reason is the bigend bearings which can quite often sound like the head as the piston will be tapping it if the bearing has gone.

Best thing would be to go get it checked out.

·
Super Moderator
9,033 Posts
Difficult to pass judgment on the noise for inside the cabin, but with that sort of rhythm it dose sound like ends, however i would also listen under the bonnet, also gradually increase the RPM to about 3k if its ends it will start to resonate.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Difficult to pass judgment on the noise for inside the cabin, but with that sort of rhythm it dose sound like ends, however i would also listen under the bonnet, also gradually increase the RPM to about 3k if its ends it will start to resonate.
ok give me one minute and i will give you another video

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Needs to be checked out mate, hate to say it but if you go under the bonnet hold revs at 3k rpm and let the revs drop, if you here a dull knocking noise its usually the bottom end that's goosed :(

I wouldnt panic just yet it could also be a lot of other things...try not to drive it as it may cause more damage

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here is another video i am pretty sure now that it is the bottom end just want some clarification on it before i move further and the car is staying parked till it is fixed im just pondering if i should build the bottom end while i am in there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7EokdvHTt0

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
That sounds like spun big ends mate

·
Germany East/Central Nord Rhein Westfalen
3,039 Posts
As above time to forge your car!! And make it 1000bhp.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As above time to forge your car!! And make it 1000bhp.
Well I went to the dealer that sold me the car and he told me that he will pay for all of the parts as long I put them in seeing that I have only had the car 9 days till this happend

·
Germany East/Central Nord Rhein Westfalen
3,039 Posts
Well I went to the dealer that sold me the car and he told me that he will pay for all of the parts as long I put them in seeing that I have only had the car 9 days till this happend
That sounds good. If you get a cost estimate from a garage that can do the work for you and get the company who you bought the car off to pay up before the work is done then great.

I would also get confirmation of what has exactly happened what's broken too.

·
Registered
183 Posts
x2 on big end deffo gone ,god you really didnt get much of a run in it only 8 days not to bad that bthe dealer is gonna stand over it ,id get it in writeing that hes gonna stand over it as its gonna be expensive to get repaired

·
Seasoned member
2,485 Posts
could be messy and dealer may not play ball in few weeks when comes to payup time. I would leave the car back in there yard tbh

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well considering 90% of business is military I don't not think he really wants to **** me over considering that me and my friends bring him allot of business so I think he will okay ball

·
Registered
354 Posts
He should play ball you have a mandatory 3 months warranty against mechanical failure of the engine anyway.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i went out and cranked up the car again just for some classifications and i did the mechanic stethoscope and the tapping/ knocking noise sounds like it is coming from the timing belt cover the tapping is only from idle- 2000 rpm and it goes away. also the tapping noise is not there upon start up only when u give it a good rev it shows up and it will also get louder as the motor gets hotter and by hotter it only gets as loud as the injectors so it is kinda of hard to hear it. i do not no if this is irrelevant but there is also a squealing noise that happens randomly when it wants and stops when it wants that sounds like the timing belt

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
The noise will get louder as the engine gets hotter as the oil thins out when warm but the r32 gtrs Achilles heel is the short nose crank which causes the oil pump to not work as it should causing in proper lubrication resulting in spun bearings and by the look of the oil pressure gauge on the clocks at idle It could be that there's your problem.... but they do suffer from faulty oil pressure senders which in turn give false oil pressure readings

Hope you get it sorted

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ty I'm tired of messing with it so I'm just taking it to the shop

1 - 19 of 19 Posts