Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey peeps,

After destroying my RB25 a couple of months back, i now finally have the time to sort it out.

I was looking at going for an RB30 conversion, but Im struggling to find any info on it.

Mr.Oreo on here is currently selling a RIPS built RB30, but in his post it states its good for 400hp? I thought these RB30s were able to stand a lot more power than that, even with standard internals, which this one has.

My old setup had pretty much everything done, and i was running a T78 (which was planned to be upgraded to a nice GT42 I have sat in my shed) before it gave way....on seeing his post for sale, my idea was to possibly take that RB30 off his hands, install it for now at lower boost until I had the time and space to rebuild it with uprated internals.

I guess my question is, would this RB30 be able to handle a t78 setup, albeit at lower boost than before, or would I just be waiting for it to send a rod out even at a 'useable' boost pressure from that 78, anything less than 1bar on them is pointless.

Thanks

Dan

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, I just had word from the dude selling that its a typo lol and that 4-600bhp is easy on standard internals on em :)

While im here, any one got any hints for installing one in place of an RB25 motor? Stuff I'll need to change, ditch etc

·
Autobahn Burner
1,223 Posts
Yup, I just had word from the dude selling that its a typo lol and that 4-600bhp is easy on standard internals on em :)

While im here, any one got any hints for installing one in place of an RB25 motor? Stuff I'll need to change, ditch etc
I understand the deck hight on an rb30 is higher so it might cause problems with the stock crossover pipe, I take it you will be useing your rb25 head. so maybe now would be the time for a grreddy plenum?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
already have a greddy plenum, so thats one issue I wont have then, thats good, anymore?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you like, I'll have a whole head in a couple of weeks that as far as im aware should be in good order, it died via bending a rod, and head has had some work done too it.

Obviously strip down and inspection could reveal anything, might of melted my valves too and upset them :(

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oki fair enough :)

so anyone got any resources or points tips that i need to heed for this conversion?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
will do, I was running a very high speced rb25 and it was a total hoot with that t78, except around town, it was a nightmare, low compression, light as hell flywheel, brutal clutch, and a cusco diff that locks up at every opportunity made for lots of stalling lol

RB30 should be much better because of the greater capacity and better low down grunt, but apart from that I dont know much else about em especially specifics, except that they are renown for being able to take daft power.

things i need to know are, will the rb25 gearbox bolt right up to it, will my current flywheel/clutch bolt on, someone mentioned the deck height is higher, by how much? will I need a new downpipe from the turbo, new intercooler piping etc

·
Registered
914 Posts
im assuming you just use the bottom half the engine, block sump etc etc then your rb25 head bolts directly on??
what head gaskets best?
do you still use rb25 head bolts?
you can obviously still use the same inlet and exhaust manifolds but maybe have to just extend the length of your downpipe?
what do you do about a cambelt setup, do you use rb25 or rb30 setup or are they the same?
are the actual engine mounts off the rb 25 in the same place for the rb30 to bolt straght up?
and same as you asked zed about the gearbox,
does an rb25 box bolt straight up,
does an rb25 flywheel and clutch setup bolt straight to the rb30
is there any custom work or is it pretty much bolt together stuff??

·
Member No 48
1,192 Posts
Why don't you email Rob at R.I.P.S.? He'll know all the info you want.

·
Registered
514 Posts
USE THE EARLY RB30.....pre 87....IF YOU CAN GET THEM.. RARE AS ROCKING HORSE **** BUT THICKER IN THE BORES BY 1mm.......

RB25 NON VVTI HEADS BOLT STRAIGHT ON,,, ( NON TURBO ECT. ) BUT USE TURBO CAMS ( IF BUDGET BUILD ) OR GO NUTS ON AFTER MARKET RB25 CAM:D

VVTI HEADS NEED THE OIL GALLERY WELDED AND DRAIN HOLE RESHAPED, IF RUNNING VVTI YOU NEED TO RUN AN OIL FEED TO THE CAM HUB!!!!

ALL RB ENGINES RUN THE SAME SPICKET BUSH!!!! WATER PUMP AND OIL PUMP......

THE 26 HEAD BOLTS STRAIGHT ON!!!!!! USE ARP HEAD BOLTS!!!!

USE YOUR HARMONIC BALANCER ( crank pully ) SO POWER STEER AND A/C WORK

YOUR FLYWHEEL AND CLUTCH WILL FIT....... IF SERIOUS GET THE PIN PUT IN..... AS RB30 AINT PINNED!!!!!!

ENGINE MOUNTS BOLT SRAIGHT ON!!!!!!!

THEY DO RUN ON STANDARD ECU...... JUST TOP OUT ALOT QUICKER DUE TO AFM (SHITLOAD MORE AIR FLOW!!!! )

STANDARD CRANKS AND RODS ( HARDEND AND BALANCED!!! ) GOOD FOR 700BHP!!!!!!!! HAD CARS DO IT!!!!!!!!

ANY OTHER QUESTIONS JUST ASK!!!!!!:cheers:

·
bla
17,374 Posts
Great info Todd, you not sold her yet???

Also if you want, RB Motorsport specialize in RB30s, so give them a quick email...
Heres a site, so gather up loadsa info, lol...
www.osgiken.co.uk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts