Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some suggestions on re-enforcing my front bumper. I dont have the front fender guards, and find the bumper itself flimsy, dont know if the guards is causing this. Where I live, the road is not the best, and I occasionally end up touching up the front bumper, and well it is breaking up rapidly. Do you guys have any suggestions on something I could do to atleast stop it from breaking so easily?

Here is the front bumper I have:

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
its going to be pretty hard to reinforce the standard bumper,fibreglss wouldnt do much,you might be able to bond strips of something too it but that just transfers the forces elsewhere,it might bend the wings rather than the bumper

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See I had an s14 before this r33, and had barely any problems going the same places I do now, that bumper was so much more solid. I am actually considering selling this car because of the bumper :(

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
eh? that makes no sense to me i thought the bumpers were suppsed to be flexible to save damage to the other bodywork

·
formerly known as mruk
3,942 Posts
TOP TIP!!
take the bumper off, cover the back of it in newspaper and masking tape so there are no ways for it to escape... as it will do..
poke a hole in the paper with the pipe and blow some of that Big gap filling expanding foam into it, it dries rock hard but still has enough flex in it for impact

I just put it in the bottom of it.

leave it to cure for a few days, and there is no noticeable extra weight

The guy that fixed my bumper a while ago suggested it, i did it and continually smacked my low front bumper into driveway kerbs,,, there were scratches but it never broke!! That stuff was fantastic :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This sounds interesting, I think I will try it once I get my bumper repaired "again". Did you take any pictures of your application? I want to know how you went about applying the news paper and tape to get it to shape up to the bumper. Also, are you talking about the same expanding foam which you can get in a hardware store, for sealing up cracks, and spaces etc in buildings?

·
formerly known as mruk
3,942 Posts
yup thats the stuff, best £7 i ever spent! unfortunatley i didn't get any pics when i did it...

I'm getting my bumper sprayed and touched up at the moment so i'll be re-doing it if i have time too at the weekend, and i'll take some pics :)

·
formerly known as mruk
3,942 Posts
no i doubt it, as far as i'm aware i'm the only one thats done it as when i tried to explain it to the many people i have, they look at me like i'm insane!!!
more fool them :p

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Only just seen this thread, but what a bloody good idea that expanding foam is

·
Registered
220 Posts
When I get my bumper re touched up again, I will try this as I'm getting cracks all over it and its so annoying when I clay it as they all show up and the rest of the cars fine!

Ant,

1 - 20 of 24 Posts