Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any pictures, or a "how to" guide for removing the rear indicators? As the weather is good i would like to take em out and give them a good clean as it seems that you cant get to them from inside the boot?

·
Yeah boyeeeeeeeee
6,604 Posts
Remove trim in boot, remove black 'skyline' panel from below boot lid, remove 5 nuts holding light cluster in and remove cables etc.

Easy stuff. Now for the hard part...

Then, using a heat gun, you need to soften up the black sticky gunk which seals the light cluster into the car.

You need to get this hot enough to melt the stuff, but don't start to strip your paint!

When it's hot the light cluster can be eased out; it's probably better to push against the bolts rather than trying to lever it out (easy to crack the lenses etc.).

Now you have the cluster out, and you're covered in sticky black stuff which has also got onto the top of the bumper and everywhere else.

You're on your own from this point; apparently you put the cluster in the oven (set low, maybe 50 - 70 degrees or something) and this softens the sealant so you can remove the lenses. Not done this bit though.

Good luck :D

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I put mine in the oven on low for about 10 mins with a load of foil wrapped round them. It worked a treat. I`m just about to have a second set apart so i will try to take a few pic`s while i`m at it if it helps.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Same goes for me, they are due out soon. water in the indicator !!! So a guide would be good so no frustrating breakages lol.

Could do with removing the orange as well !!!

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
Remove trim in boot, remove black 'skyline' panel from below boot lid, remove 5 nuts holding light cluster in and remove cables etc.

Easy stuff. Now for the hard part...

Then, using a heat gun, you need to soften up the black sticky gunk which seals the light cluster into the car.

You need to get this hot enough to melt the stuff, but don't start to strip your paint!

When it's hot the light cluster can be eased out; it's probably better to push against the bolts rather than trying to lever it out (easy to crack the lenses etc.).

Now you have the cluster out, and you're covered in sticky black stuff which has also got onto the top of the bumper and everywhere else.

You're on your own from this point; apparently you put the cluster in the oven (set low, maybe 50 - 70 degrees or something) and this softens the sealant so you can remove the lenses. Not done this bit though.

Good luck :D
and ill take over mate lol

basically warm your oven up to 50 degrees and after you have removed the outer light cover place the full rear light unit in the oven for 3-6 mins and then remove.

now looking at the indicator lens you will see small clips gently and carefully unclip them while using a small flat screwdriver gently prise the lens unit clear of the light unit. be careful and do it very slowly as they will break easily and it will also be very warm.

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
Same goes for me, they are due out soon. water in the indicator !!! So a guide would be good so no frustrating breakages lol.

Could do with removing the orange as well !!!
easy enough to remove the orange bit mate :D

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts