Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all right a few of my bulbs have gone so im looking to replace all my rear cluster bulbs with LED's so ill be needing stop/tail/reverse and indicator LED bulbs please.

What ones/type do I need please and where is the best place to purchase them from? (Hoping a trader can help me out on this and supply the whole lot)
Also how hard are they to fit as this is the 1st time I have had to change my bulbs? (Assuming unscrew rear protective pannels in boot, pop out covers behind the cluster, pop out the existing bulbs then replace with new LED'S and thats about it right?

Many Thanks in advance

Jamie

·
Chris
58 Posts
If it was me, I would not use premade LED bulbs. Most LED bulbs only have a concentrated amount of light in only a small area. This does not adequately illuminate the rear lights like they should be.

Premade bulbs also have the potential of prematurely failing, since most bulbs do not use voltage regulators. The voltage in a car's electrical system is not even, and could rapidly spike or drop, depending on how the car is driven. This could in turn weaken or destroy the bulbs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so whats my best course of action if I want LED bulbs in all my rear lights? Im sure I have seen this before from pics, do I need some sort of aftermarket clusters or what?

·
Chris
58 Posts
I'd either look for some LED clusters or find someone who is producing custom cut LED modules to fit your taillights. I'm starting on making custom LED taillight kits for the R32-R34:

http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134013

Let me know if you'd be interested in something like this.

Ok so whats my best course of action if I want LED bulbs in all my rear lights? Im sure I have seen this before from pics, do I need some sort of aftermarket clusters or what?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the mean time am I right in assuming that's all the taillight bulbs are the regular fit that match most other cars nothing fancy right? I can just pick them up at my local halfords??

·
Yeah boyeeeeeeeee
6,604 Posts
fwiw I use LED sidelights; there's no fancy voltage regulator or anything and they work just fine. There's no reason to think that the LED replacement bulbs for the rear would be any different.

The point about concentrating light in a small area is a good one, though (try and get ones with LEDs round the 'sides' etc. so they spread the light.

They're standard bulbs, and easy to take out to see which type they are. :D

·
Forum loiterer!
1,714 Posts
voltage stable leds only apply to the high power 1-3watt leds. all the ones used for oe bayonet bulbs are not that fussy about a steady voltage. You can buy most in places like halfrauds or the bay of E ;) the only thing i would advise is check the indicator bulbs have a built in resistor to suit thier purpose or they will flash too fast! :)

If you want the dogs danglies of rear leds search for Tyberious or drop him a PM he has done these before and they ROCK!! He does a kit to convert old to new including all lenses. :D

·
Carbon Addict
1,430 Posts
All of those kits are sold out I believe. Look at what you could've won...
I've got 1 full kit left (in white) that was destined for a mates car.

I still have the designs to produce more but I don't have the time to do the conversions like I used to so haven't bothered. Even designed full LED replacements for the R32 but never had them produced.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so does anyone have a full kit that I can purchase or convert mine? If that fails think ill just try some LEDS and see how they look in replacement of the stock bulbs.

·
Administrator
25,983 Posts
i too have led rear lights from matt above and can not be happier with them :D:D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so next question how do I remove the plastic screws to take the fabric covers off in the boot in order to get to the tail lights please?....grrr all I wanna do is replace 2 bulbs lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.