Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Big is beautiful
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know where you can get one of those illuminated rear skyline strips? (th bit inbetween the indicators)

·
2.8 HKSステップ3 、
3,072 Posts
I have the clear panel but no idea on how to illuminate it... can you tell me what I need and how its done please...

E

·
0 Posts
I have gotta do that. that looks the bollocks! Do you get any bother from the plod? I take it its just a matter of running a small bulb (interior light size) & holder,mounting it & cutting into the wiring for the rear lights?

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Well, i've had no interest from plod so far (probably because it's red light).

It wasn't that difficult, but then again it's a bit of a half-assed job... Here's how I did it and prolly isn't the best way. Wasn't expensive though.

You need a clear panel for this

• Get the thing off (4 nuts and a 'popper')
  • remove any silver paint from letters so they are clear
  • cut the back out in the shape of a letter box (you'll never get it open as it's sealed with goo, grrrrrrrr!)
  • get some translucent red self adhesive vinyl and stick to inside of panel (mine needed 2 thicknesses to get the colour right) - £free
  • clean it well and carefully mask letters and black bits (masking the letters took a razor sharp knife and a lot of time. I also used some liquid mask from Halfords which was excellent)
  • get (right colour) spray paint and plastic primer
  • prime, spray to a good thickness
  • get a 12v neon tube, mine's for a PC case but is a bit short, and fix inside - I used a hot-glue gun near the ends to fix it.
  • test
  • seal back up with whatever you like
  • tag transformer wires onto tail light circuit
  • fix it back on
  • :D

Hardest bits were masking the letters and getting the right colour paint - the QM1 I had mixed was no where near the QM1 the car's sprayed in (apparently there are at least 2 QM1s...).

First I tried a row of red LEDs but their light was too narrow and wasn't even. I'm gonna sort out a longer tube or two shorter ones at some point (how long have I been saying that!).

The vinyl is just to diffuse the light. There's no reason why you couldn't use any colour vinyl/tube (apart from legal reasons)

Cost just over 25 quid. Bargain. Nice to know you've done it yourself too. :cool:

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Or do what I did and buy one with it already done and fitted by Mrs Nismo's little boy.
Mine is green and Lily law have yet to have a whinge

·
Member No 48
1,192 Posts
Like Buster mine came ready to go from the factory....in glowing green. Plod would have a very difficult time doing you for something that is a factory fit......the letters only glow and are not as bright as the number plate light.
Still, its always nice to let people know what car has passed them on a dark night eh!!!!

·
Needs a self cleaning car
1,455 Posts
Very tidy job, Moshops

Looks better than the 'official' product. Plus it's a bit cheaper. The 'official' one is several hundred quid, last I heard.

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Thanks jae :) pretty pleased with it. Glad I took my time masking the letters :sleepy:

Would have been easier to go buy one but I like to try these things myself. I'm a bit of an eccentric don't you know.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I cant find them for my r32 gts, i know they did them as a factory option (e/l green) but where the hell can you get them from now?,

Nathan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts