Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new to the forum, now I have searched and can't find the answer I'm lookin for. I was experiencing massive amounts of blow by, comp tested, yep shagged. Pulled the head off and gasket was flogged, was thinking itight have been the ringlands that have let go, now my question is.... Is there a way of finding out if the ringlands are good with out pulling the slugs out? As tops of pistons look proper, no signs of det, or pinging, no scoring of the bores, and still nice n tight in their homes... Comp test was bad... 1&2 = 0, 3=180, 4=180, 5=175, 6=0... But the H/G is really bad... No water+oil mix or loss of power, still makes 264 at wheels. Could it be just the gasket? Or would it be rings for those comp results?
Any light will be much appreciated. Block is still in car. Can't be far$$d pulling it out. But will if I need too..

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

What car do you have?
You could also try a new gasket then check the compression, that'll tell you for sure.

I am surprised it runs at all with no compression

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, it's a series 2 R33 type m, yeah that's what I'm thinking, I'd be shattered if they where fried, all the effort only to have to do it again. It just blew a **** load of smoke under boost, was out playing last thurs and turbo blew seals, which then pushed me to dig a bit deeper, now up to elbows in car parts... Again.

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
They are known for destroying ring lands and a blown gasket won't give you that bad a compression without oil and water mix

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
How the hell have you got 0 compression on 3 cylinders but still be running 264bhp? That doesn't make sense. I lost half compression on 1 cylinder and went down to 165bhp.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Strip and refresh the bottom end and get the head refreshed at the same time as long as you ain't going to chase numbers stock items will be fine

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
I've got my old engine with 5 good cylinders if you wanted to buy it to strip for parts. I also have brand new big end and main ACL bearings for sale if you are going to do a bottom end refresh :bigthumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have no idea how it was still producing the numbers... It ran spot on was just smokey. If I go to the effort of pulling it all out, I'll go forged and chase some big numbers. 264 rwkw was fun, but when is it ever enough... Ha
Valves are good, just done stem seals to be sure, and I'll do springs. Maybe cams to get more timing. What piston, rod combo should I go with?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got an update for yas! Replaced h/g with a permatex unit, all cylinders @185!! Woohoo!! Just goes to show, how bad gaskets can get, I bet it's never been replaced, when I pulled the head off you could actually see where it was leaking, 1&2 where as one and 5&6 were the same, explains all the blowby. Started it yesdee, nothing cummin from breathers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts