Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic is usually met with the typical 'get used to it' kind of approach but gunna put my side of it down anyway.
I personally completely understand why the Rule is there, protecting the people who use this site is important nd i appreciate the need for it. However, a hundred posts, i think, is a bit high, especially when the sections you use are not used very often. For example i have a 350gt and that section of the forum is really quiet So making 100 posts is extremely hard, especially as i know very little on the rb engines to be able to contribute to the other skyline sections, this is why i think lowering the count not a lot but to a more reasonable number such as 75 or in that kind of area wouldnt quite put people off of the idea of using this site more especially if they are wanting to sell things.
I know this probably wont make much of a difference and this is in my interests but indont think any harm would come from reducing the post count, not geting rid of it

·
Ptsssshh
128 Posts
I agree with you, but I guess we just have to make a lot of random posts to get to 100...
Maybe have a timelimit too? Like, if you have been registered for a year 50 posts is enough?

·
NORTHERN IRELAND AREA REP
8,613 Posts
If the sale is needed use ebay, gumtree etc
This is an owners forum not just for selling.

·
Ptsssshh
128 Posts
If the sale is needed use ebay, gumtree etc
This is an owners forum not just for selling.
Might just have to do that, even though its just a few parts I dont need any more.
We removed the 100 post rule completely and the forum was rife with scams so the members asked for it to be reinstated.
Thats a shame, I'll just have to use ebay I guess :|

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
hell we even done 50 posts rule and that was a disaster as well

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I knew this would come with a lot of comments.
I understand and support the rule because yes it is a forum not just a selling site but part of a forum is to be able to link with people who have things for sale but people who have been here a whil posting a lot can still be hindered by this rule thats why i suggested just lowering it to something in the area of 75.
Enough to put off the scammers but not as much as to stop real people with honest intensions to make money and to put more parts into the community

·
No longer a rep :( but still here :)
6,432 Posts
As said this is an owners club, not a car boot sale. If you want to sell goods then there are many many auction sites. Im not saying i dont buy stuff and sell on here because i do its very useful but its not the point of the site.

·
Stage 1
814 Posts
Plenty of groups on facebook tbh if you want to sell without the fees of ebay etc.. And being honest, you're going tor each a bigger audience on facebook

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think youve missed the point i was getting at, i know theres plenty of sites out there to specifically sell but for the people on this site who are here for the right reasons but are not able to sell are hindered by the 100 value, im not at all even suggesting tht this place is just to sell but what im saying is the extremity of this rule hinders some people with honest intentions

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
I think youve missed the point i was getting at, i know theres plenty of sites out there to specifically sell but for the people on this site who are here for the right reasons but are not able to sell are hindered by the 100 value, im not at all even suggesting tht this place is just to sell but what im saying is the extremity of this rule hinders some people with honest intentions
I do agree.

I have long wondered if there could be a moderators exception made to the rule for longer standing members who have made a valuable contribution over years but for the most part kept in the shadows reading the site, I have also wondered if we could have the opposite for members who spam their way up to 100 in a few days...if we catch them in time we could move them to a status that never allows sales rather than just keep going back and removing their posts manually which can take a fair bit of time.

With any moderators decisions you will have upset caused by those on the shitty end of the stick or those that have an anti establishment syndrome (cue Niz) who will no doubt claim the decisions were influenced by some sort of special treatment/illuminati/freemason/funny handshake/scientology membership/cult

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice to see i even have the support from a trader on here, i dont really appreciate being told to bugger off when all im doing is bringing a bit of debate to this topic, yes ill be up to 100 eventually nd im not in a rush thts why its taking me time to get there rsther than just spamming. I do also like the idea of moderator exceptions and the monitoring of the people who spam being banned from selling etc

·
Registered
172 Posts
Same boat as you - active in our niche forum but won't post 'for the sake of it' and have some spare bits n bobs I'd like to offer to 350GT owners...

As said it won't take you long to reach required post count - I've just added another one to mine ;)

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
Nice to see i even have the support from a trader on here, i dont really appreciate being told to bugger off when all im doing is bringing a bit of debate to this topic, yes ill be up to 100 eventually nd im not in a rush thts why its taking me time to get there rsther than just spamming. I do also like the idea of moderator exceptions and the monitoring of the people who spam being banned from selling etc
pretty sure that trader was being sarcastic mate

·
Highland/North Scotland Area Rep
4,159 Posts
The 100 post rule works, any less doesn't.. Had a right piss taker today posting up in the general section with a for sale thread because he could and then posting a link to a ebay page when his for sale post got deleted..

Any less than 100 and people will just spam like hell in the hope the spamming didn't get spotted...

·
I fix problems the A team can't handle
96 Posts
I have long wondered if there could be a moderators exception made to the rule for longer standing members who have made a valuable contribution over years but for the most part kept in the shadows reading the site, I have also wondered if we could have the opposite for members who spam their way up to 100 in a few days...if we catch them in time we could move them to a status that never allows sales rather than just keep going back and removing their posts manually which can take a fair bit of time.
very intresting idea and one I would support, maybe move their required post count to 200 or 300 as a first offence warning and a sales ban for being a real silly boy, but requiring the agreement of 2 or 3 mods to save all the "but it's cos he doesn't like me"
With the amount of activity on this forum and number of daily posts its amazing the mods catch the ammount they do.:cheers:

On a related tangent the gtr site requires 10 posts just to view signatures on posts

1 - 20 of 30 Posts