Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
I have them fitted and now after drifting the coilpack is still cool as it gets loads of air going into it. if yours is a spec 2 though you will need a few bits to fit it

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not into drifting her just now just having problems with misfire and was looking for splitfires found these and thought they were an alternative to them.

What do you think ian? do you have any pics of this kit fitted and how difficult was it?
Oh i have a series 1 det

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
for the money you cant grumble, makes life a lot better when you have to change spark plugs, fitting was ok, just a pain mounting the coilpack and striping the old loom. it would prepare for a full day just to make sure you get everything done proper and tidy, i still aint cleaned up the wiring yet! will take some pics tomorrow if its not raining

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks ian youve kind of scared me a wee bit tho when you mentioned the cutting into the loom not good with electrical things lol

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
its ok mate, its the ones from the little black box at the back, will take pics of what i mean tomorrow

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
There's been lots of debate on these, personally & like a lot of others i still dont think you can beat the splitfire coil packs.

·
Seasoned Member
4,929 Posts
Hey John,
I spoke to Driftworks about these on the phone and they do sound like a good alternative.........depends whether your wanting to spend a bit more and get the Splitfires and whether you want to alter the existing loom. I had the misfire.....refurbed the coilpacks myself and changed the plugs and it sorted it totally.... if you want me to head over to yours at anytime to help you that would be fine with me...

·
Registered
61 Posts
i have seen these aswell and wondered if they were any good, does anyone have the fitting instructions so i can see what sort of a job it would be to fit?

·
Registered
31 Posts
i had the DW coilpack kit fitted to my R32 and it totally transformed the car
lost the misfire and generally runs a lot better :)

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
er Hi5 i do care about my car but need to save money now as the gf is pregnant.

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
She wasnt pregnant when ya got these puff boy!

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
just because you have a bald patch from where your wife has you under the thumb!!!!

·
Seasoned Member
4,929 Posts
I don't think that Driftworks would use/sell these kits due to lack of funding or lack of respect for the Skyline don't you think ???

the driftworks kits is a step backwards imo. I'd only bother with them if I couldnt afford replacement coils and didnt care about my car generally :p

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
and they also run a kit on there rb25 engined r32 drift car which is running around 450 bhp as far as im aware

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
I have a theory on this whole coilpack debate, and I know I'm not alone in these thoughts.

I firmly believe that people rave about Splitfires/Wasted Spark because 90% of folk only buy them after their std ones are shagged. After a serious misfire anything will seem brilliant, I know because I did this! My coils gave up, I swapped them for a good set and it was like a new car. Both setups are more efficient but I don't believe the difference is as great as everybody believes. Should I decide to upgrade in the future I'll go for Wasted Spark, although I'm no expert I think this will help the problem of overheating packs.

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
well said gb, my coilpack is mounted next to the head not deep inside it and when i have been driving and have felt it, its never hot.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts