Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my R33 GTST last friday, the car has a vented carbon bonnet, but for some odd reason the previous owner had it sprayed silver to match the rest of the car. Does anyone know if its possible to strip it back to the carbon finish. I`m tempted to get a bottle of paint stripper but worried it will damage the carbon!

Cheers for any advice :)

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
i would have thought wet and drying from medium,to start with ,to smooth once the paint is off would be the way to do it

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did think of that, but sanding it off would take forever! lol. Should have said i`m looking for a "quick" way to do it. If not then I guess sanding it off is the only way!

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
have a word with local paint shop surely they will have come across this or one of the bodyshops on here?

·
South East Area Rep
337 Posts
No quick way of doing this, paint stripper would eat in to the carbon's coating and that's not good.

DA sand it back, then wet flat it when it's through to the silver base. Dont go too far through it with course disc or paper or it's back to painting it again.

It would probably be best when it's flatted to get a few coats of lacquer on it, hence the fine paper when your down to the basecoat, you'll see scratches in it otherwise. :)

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
Its not always bad painting a carbon bonnett...

Some people think unpainted carbon bonnett look like crash repair on the cheap from the breakers...

But itis a pity to paint it completely... :)

·
proud owner of an RB26
314 Posts
that looks awesome.

I've always toyed with the idea of painting it, as it can look a bit much, but I am loving your idea of keeping some unsprayed, top work fella.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
its not made of carbon for how it looks..
If i ever decide to get one it will also be painted

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
Mine does not look like a taxi!!!! :spank: :dogpile:

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
There are cheaper options for lightweight bonnets, a lot of people do want carbon because of the way it looks.
(to look like every other modified skyline yeh lol!) not to mention the Saxo's, Civics, Corsa's.. abeilt painted with black paint in the case of most corsas :grinno:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts