Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Track car.

I'm having the car fully caged very soon, and its going to have a posh custom weld in multi point cage that is welded to the pillars ect.

My question is, and before you shoot me down in flames i totaly understand the need for it and the very thought is a bit of a concern, but i'm going to ask anyways :D

If i completely remove the rear bulk head and speaker shelf, cut it out back the were it joints on with the spot welds, and then have the cage put in and brace it so its the same if not better then the shelf...

Do you guys think it would be ok ? I know these skylines flex so much, so the car is fully seam welded (properly ;))

Just interested on peoples views and if anyone has done it and what were there findings.

Tbh, i'm not removing it for weight as i don't care about the weight because the power it will be running it will not make much difference, and its not like i'm going for quater mile times, not to mention the cage will take it over the stock weight i'm sure ;)

Look forward to see what you guys think.

Ta, clarkey-san

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine was removed when the scaffolding went in. No ill effects :)

The cage (provided it is done right) provides far more structural integrity than the bulk head.

·
Registered
35 Posts
No sorry. Have to maintain my competitive edge and all that :)

Ignore the crap in the boot. It's ballast I tells ya!

Mine was cut out with a plasma cutter. Just need to drill the welds on a few spots and clean it up. A new bulk head will go in anyway as the racing regulations in New Zealand require one.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts