Skyline Owners Forum banner

221 - 240 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
No not really, just time and patience....dont remember any hassle at all..quite straight forward
Just take off the original plastic , mark the perspex up the same, cut out and press in...jobs a good un.

then you have the door switches, hazard switch, heater control switches, rear de mister..... to do with LEDs again just time consuming but it makes so much difference.

Look at second picture above :bananasmile:
I've done the hazard switch, heater control switches & rear de mister.

Yours is looking good.

What width was the perspex you used and am I write in thinking you replaced the "inner" piece of perspex (one nearest to the LED panel) not the outer?

Can you see it ok in the daylight? I've remove one sheet of gel from mine but cannot see it in the day.

·
Allkiller No Filler
1,253 Posts
The perspex pops in from behind it was about 2 mm thick
yeah you can see it ok during the day

·
Registered
375 Posts
Here's mine ...

The LEDs are SuperFlux Xenon-White, so actually more white than blue.
These LEDs are super bright and you might know them from your mobile phones.
They are a plug in replacement, and fit into the original sockets.

I was actually thinking about doing a red illumination, but red does not illuminate the dials/needles well..

Besides better looks (depending on taste) changing the 5 light bulbs to LED saves a lot of heat.
The original lighting draws 15 watts, the LEDs just need 500mW (that's 30 times less).
As a result the whole dash stays way cooler :)

Dash Picture here ->
R33GTSTS2

·
Allkiller No Filler
1,253 Posts
Christ thats bright...bit too much at night maybe ?
Looks very good though...i wanted blue easier on the eye....shortest light wave length

·
Registered
375 Posts
Christ thats bright...bit too much at night maybe ?
Looks very good though...i wanted blue easier on the eye....shortest light wave length

Hi there,

The picture might be a bit misleading since the camera regulates the exposure so that the picture is 'bright enough' ..

If you compare the brightness to the warning lights you might get the idea ..

But still, you might have a point .. I have not tested the new illumination under real conditions.

Maybe I overdid it :confused::eek:
(Ohhh nooooo)

Wasn't there a dimmer for the dashboard lights?

I actually prefer red to blue, since I find red more soothing ..

Cheers :)

·
Allkiller No Filler
1,253 Posts
Hi mate, you cant get the heater or clock in red though...thats the problem
as the display is light green and red perspex or gel wont do it.

See what you mean about the camera exposure...good job, i have some of those 1 watt leds in the footwells in my truck damn they are bright :eek:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Just about to do the drivers switch and got the top cover off.

Anyone know how to get the rest of it apart?

Appears that you might have to de-solder some of the connections - hope I'm wrong!

·
Allkiller No Filler
1,253 Posts
Just about to do the drivers switch and got the top cover off.

Anyone know how to get the rest of it apart?

Appears that you might have to de-solder some of the connections - hope I'm wrong!
Fraid so..look at page 10 thread 145 your answer is there. with pics
and i have posted my update picture for the later model cars too :smoker:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Just finished doing the a/c unit and the rear demister and hazard buttons. The a/c unit is pretty simple i used these led's. You have to take out the 2 bulb holders and unwind the wire from the bulb then drill a 5.5mm hole through the centre to allow the new led to fit in. All you have to do is simply wind the wires back round the bulb holder the same way they were before. The rear demister and hazard buttons were a bit more complicated and VERY fidley. You will need to take the switches apart and remove the bulb to be replaced then find out which way round the led goes. Very carefully solder the new led's in place, put the switches back together and hey presto everything is now blue. The clock is very easy to do all you need to do is split it apart and put a small piece of transparen blue film over the lcd bit. I did do it but the film i used was slightly the wrong shade so until i find something better it will have to stay green.:)
Did you do the green LEDs for the recirc & front screen demist?

I tried a T5 before removing the original LEDs (thought I might get away with filing it to fit) but there isn't enough power to illuminate it - at least not with the standard LED in circuit.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Just finished doing the auto window switch light. Its a bit tricky, when you open it up you'll see a green square led this is the one that needs to be replaced. I used one of these but they don't come with any resistors so you will need to solder some on. So using a spare led that i had left over from doing the rest of the dash i unsoldered the resistors and soldered them on to the new blue square led (you need to use a square led as round ones don't fit). Then on the circuit board for the window controls follow the path of the green led until you find the resistor. Cut this out and solder the anode (long leg) on. Then follow the other side of the green resistor to its earth and solder the cathode (short leg) on there. Cut the green led out and position the new blue led in place and its all done. Make sure when you swap the resistors about from the spare led to the new square led you put them on the right legs.
Where did you get the square LED, what value was it and the resistor?

Cheers

·
Allkiller No Filler
1,253 Posts
everything was Blue on Daves as i remember
Mine too....i got the square LED from Ultra led

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
everything was Blue on Daves as i remember
Mine too....i got the square LED from Ultra led
Cheers for that. What value resistor did you use?

Been looking at replacing the heater perspex as you did as post blue gel mod heater functions un-readable during daylight hours.

How did you cut the hole for the button and shape it up to get a good finish? To replicate the stock item I would imagine would be quite difficult as it's not flat. Or did you cut out the oem perspex from direclty in front of the LED panel and fit blue perspex to that? When I double-click on your photos the links to your pics no longer work so can only see your small pics.

It's driving me mad as nearly everything else is blue (did the drivers window switch) and just need to get the AC, clock & boost guage completed. Tried blue gel in boost gauge but un-readable. Emailed Gizzmo and they told me its not possible to change the LEDs (I've looked and they are v small plus Gizzmo have flooded PCB with resin) so advised to buy a new one in blue. £180 to go from green to blue...ouch!!

·
Allkiller No Filler
1,253 Posts
Use the resistors off the some of the leds you bought if you have spare if not...i dont know there value....buy some others and take em off and use em.

A/C Clock need perspex as we have said or lighter gel there are thousands of shades....of blue, lighter...it sounds like the gel you have isnt Theatre lighting gel .

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Use the resistors off the some of the leds you bought if you have spare if not...i dont know there value....buy some others and take em off and use em.

A/C Clock need perspex as we have said or lighter gel there are thousands of shades....of blue, lighter...it sounds like the gel you have isnt Theatre lighting gel .
I used Lee lighting filter gel 119 Dark Blue as recommended on another post, but didn't see he had same probs with display being dark after fitting :(

http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110123&highlight=gel

Have sanded the AC perspex and it's a bit better - will try the same with the clock. Can't see how you'd get an OEM finish by replacing the perspex on the AC (it's contoured) and the clock perspex is fixed in place and would need to be "persuaded" to come out.

·
Allkiller No Filler
1,253 Posts
Dont worry about the Lee number...just theatre lighting gel in a colour/ shade that works for you...easy

as for the clock/AC... I did it and HKP did it..no probs

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Dont worry about the Lee number...just theatre lighting gel in a colour/ shade that works for you...easy

as for the clock/AC... I did it and HKP did it..no probs
I've bought the gel now (£7 for a roll) and have no access to different gels to "try before you buy".

"as for the clock/AC... I did it and HKP did it..no probs" - have you got any close up pics?

·
Allkiller No Filler
1,253 Posts
No sorry....and i was giving the gel away on here for months...somewhere in the thread it does say if you need it i have it in different shades of blue.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Bugger!

Can't see how you'd get an OEM finish by replacing the perspex on the AC (it's contoured) and the clock perspex is fixed in place and would need to be "persuaded" to come out?

·
Registered
781 Posts
car-mod-shop.co.uk do led speedo bulb sets, got mine for £9.99 posted, came within 2 days also, get some pics up once done,ive gone for red leds tho instead of the std green

221 - 240 of 272 Posts