Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
formerly known as mruk
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know its a skyline site, but we all had to start our interest in cars from somewhere... :D

Has anyone completely restored one of these?

I'm been thinking very much recently that this would be the right project to get me really into what i want to do on cars....
EVERYTHING!
So far i've done about as much to a car as i feel confident about doing but i'd like to go further and build cars from scratch.
I wouldn't attempt it on a car as complicated on the skyline just yet down to confidence in my own ability really.

When i've spoken to people in their 40/50's that've been into their cars for years and know just about everything
there is to know, alot of them said to me they'd gained knowledge to beging with by restored an old Mini or a
VW Beetle :hippy: from the ground up.
Its about as basic a car as you can get for Electrics, Bodywork and Engine ... Its also very small and light so if
i needed it moving while it wasn't a Rolling shell i'd be able to get a few people to carry it with me.. :D
I want a cheap knackered shell that would be taken back to the bare metal, all rust removed, new panels welded
in if needed, panels spot welded and strengthened, new parts wherever needed

On ebay these things restored go for twice the price on my skyline so it'd be a very sound investment, and i'd be doing
all the work myself with the aid of a few mates getting involved a little and as i've got more tools than a garage cost
would be TEABAGS :D and parts only (cheaps as chips for a mini)

·
Registered
272 Posts
To be honest you won't go far wrong with a mini or Beetle, however they do tend to command a high price even for resoration projects. Also as they ar of monocoque construction you have to be really accurate with your welding to maintain the strength in the shell. Personally I have restored Triumphs (Heralds, Vitesse, GT6, Tr4A) over the last 15 years mainly because you can pick up a Herald for about £200 (lots more for the TR range) and you then have the simplicity of a huge ladder frame chassis with a body bolted on with 10 bolts or so. Parts for Mini, VW and Triumph,MG etc are plentiful with a million owners clubs around and autojumbles to get the bits you need - but beware of cheap aftermarket parts, they arte often made of cheese and don't last 5 mins, epecially chrome bits. Always go for NOS (New Old Stock) if you can get it. Your best bet is to get a few of the classic car magasines and join some of the car forums and see what's about and what support you can get. I say go for it (obviously) and have fun learning.

Dave

·
Registered
276 Posts
Go for it, a friend and I are looking at doing exactly the same thing, for the same reason. Pity we're not closer.

Ben

1 - 7 of 7 Posts