Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Seasoned Member
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just fitted two on the back of my car,now it wanders side to side,when overtaking the car wavers side to side.anybody else had this?

·
Seasoned Member
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope the wall on these tires are realy thick,i seen them before they were fitted,duno what the story is,maybe thers not enough reinforcement in the sides or somthing!

·
Seasoned Member
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
110 euro a shot,my tyres were shot and not legal so twas all i cud get,i do however have a fooked front shock,that has leaked out all its oil,this may be to blame,although why it coincided with new tires is anybodies guess

·
Devon/Cornwall Area Rep
897 Posts
i know this sounds really stupid but i now work in the truck tyre industry and i recently had training with bridgestone and they were saying then that if you break a tread pattern into a lot of small blocks and then put a lot of tread on it the tread will move when you put weight on it and it makes the back of trucks wonder thats why truck tyres are recutable because they stoped makeing the tread so deep so that it didnt move around on the road it could be something like that, have a games of 11's and take a couple mm of tread of and see if that sorts it. if it dont then atleast you had fun

·
Administrator
23,136 Posts
Slightly toe out at the rear would be my guess, get it checked as they may have knocked something during the fitting.

·
Jammy Git
2,180 Posts
I had never heard of them but this is what it said here: http://www.tyreclub.co.uk/roadstonelg.html

Roadstone tyres are made in Korea by a factory set up by Michelin.
It is sold as a quality budget international tyre.

Roadstone has a good international and racing reputation.
They are manufactured by Nexen Tire and they make all size tyres for cars, light truck, truck, and earthmovers.

·
Jammy Git
2,180 Posts
i know this sounds really stupid but i now work in the truck tyre industry and i recently had training with bridgestone and they were saying then that if you break a tread pattern into a lot of small blocks and then put a lot of tread on it the tread will move when you put weight on it and it makes the back of trucks wonder thats why truck tyres are recutable because they stoped makeing the tread so deep so that it didnt move around on the road it could be something like that, have a games of 11's and take a couple mm of tread of and see if that sorts it. if it dont then atleast you had fun
Not stupid at all, in fact you've answered a question for me - why do truck tyres always look worn out?

Ta! :dogpile:

·
Registered
351 Posts
do a check on all suspension, braking and steering systems (lock out bar or hicas)
the wandering, i would put down to new tyres with deeper tread (i cant comment on the ones youve got because ive not heard of them).. how good the tyres are, and combination of leaky strut.

the car being rear wheeled is pushing for the forward motion, but if a strut has leaked then the weight on that side of the car is now bouncing on the spring, which imo will cause the back end to play up under acceleration as the car will be "leaning" more on that corner. On a FWD car it wouldnt be as notcieable as the power is driven on the front wheels.

leaky shock absorbers will also have an effect on the braking, as that particular corner will simply bounce on the spring, as it cant take the sudden force because the shock absorbers not operational.

going back to tyres, are they directional and are they facing the right way? anti clockwise on the near side and clockwise on the off side

either way definately get the strut sorted out, then see where it goes from there, may need a geometry check & adjust if camber, castor, toe in/out, can be expensive but worth every penny - but everything has to be operational and in reasonably good condition.

the cause may be neither of these, but there is a lot to take into consideration when it comes to handling and driving issues

hope this helps

1 - 12 of 12 Posts