Skyline Owners Forum banner

Rod Bell Update

2K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  RoboPope 
#1 ·
Well my cars been with Rod for almost a week now so I thought I'd let you folks know whats been happening -

When I arrived I had a quick chat to Rod about my overall plans for my wee beastie and found out some good news about a replacement clutch (the GTR one will cope with 400bhp so I'll be using one of them) and that he could up the boost a little for me whilst I wait for my PowerFC to arrive (old one was broke).

So the good news is that in the past week it's had -

GTR brakes & clutch
New turbo
Intercooler
Oil cooler
Boost controller

But the bad news (relatively speaking) is that I can't run 1.0bar yet as the injectors/pump can't keep up so I'm running 0.8bar at the moment (Rod tried 0.9bar but was getting boost cut etc).

As soon as the PFC arrives I'll be going to Abbey or Rod for Mapping with bigger injectors/pump and the boost finally upto 1.0bar and that elusive 400bhp.

I should be getting my car back tomorrow so I'll update this with some new photos.

If you made it this far with falling asleep then well done :D

Cheers.........................IanH

See less See more
#5 ·
I'd always thought it was a Trust TD-05 20g but Rod told me it was a TD-06 20g which is bigger. It took 6 weeks to get here via Tim @ SVS as it's a "special build" apparently :devil:

It's booked back in for Mid-Dec for the PFC, injectors & pump, 1.2mm Head gasket & 1.2bar hopefully.

Then it's never ever ever being touched again...............ever (my bank manager WILL be happy!!) :D

#7 ·
Nice One Ian

Look forward to seeing some pics - and hopefully one day I'll be back in England to coincide with a meet and I can have a wee butchers at the beasty in flesh :D

Not so sure you'll be able to "never mod the car again"...I give you six months, then like the rest of us the modding bug bites and its time to spend spend spend!

:D

#10 ·
davewilkins said:
Bloody Hell Ian...how fast do you want the car!
Hiya Dave - [childish behaviour on] I was overtaken by a BMW M5 whilst travelling "slightly" above the speed limit (made me look like I was standing still :eek:) and thats when I decided that that'll never happen again (by a BMW). So I though, if the M5 can take 400bhp, then so can I, and as mines lighter it should give them a bit of a shock. Oh and 400bhp sound like a nice round figure to aim for too. [childish behaviour off]

It'll not quite be ready for the next Bubble meet but I'll gladly take you for spin after Xmas!!

Cheers...............................................IanH

#11 ·
400bhp is common from a v8 and can we stop talking about bhp.....

lets think of torque thasts what will make you get up and go every time, and the v8 is loaded with torque.

G
#12 ·
a question ! .. a modified R34GTT or R33GTsT with approx 400bhp .. i realise there are so many other deciding factors to this but what would the 0-60 time be roughly ??

bit of an open question i know but thought i'd ask :D

#16 · (Edited)
Update time - It's been back a day now so I thought I'd give you a quick update.

Brakes - The GTR brakes & DS2500's have got to be felt to be belived. With normal braking they're not harsh and feel fairly standard but slam the anchors on and you stop so quick the seatbelt nearly chops you in half (and no steering wobble now as well!!) I can't belive you GTR types get rid of these :D

Intercooler - I went for a HKS S-type and it fits the standard bumper well with only a small bit of chopping needed to fit the pipes and the engine isn't noticably "laggier", which is nice.

Oil Cooler - The Trust 10 Row cooler is a Fantastic bit of kit and really makes a difference to my motorway driving (sat at 100-110'c before now at 80-85'c) with the oil keeping a better pressure. I can really recommend getting one.

Turbo/Boost Controller - Well this turned into a bit of a nightmare for Rod as the boost controller hasn't any english instructions and we can't find any on the web, so Rod kept it off and fiddled with the accuator to keep around 0.9 - 1.0 bar with a restictor in the exhaust to stop it overboosting at around 5000rpm. However with the restrictor fitted there is now a BIG flatspot at 5000rpm, but at 5500 the car really pulls hard til redline. The car has also suffered from boost cut at this 5000rpm area (only twice so far) but this should all be sorted in mid December as it's going to Rod for the last bits to be done.

So after a 2 day turbo/intercooler fit turned into a week long ball-ache was it worth it? Well yes and no really. Overall the car still feels fairly standard as the boost increase doesn't "really" take effect until 5500 so you've only got 1500 left before redline. The car is great to drive and I've got no complaints other than this bloody boost problem. My next thought is to sell the Blitz and get a HKS EVC boost controller or get the Blitz iD version as these both come with english instructions and can then finally be set up properly.

It should be interesting to see what Abbey's dyno shows when we meet for the Dyno run next Saturday. My guess would be a fairly nice curve till 5000 then a big dip then a steep rise. I reckon it'll be around 310-320bhp due to that dip (and the boost falling off a bit in 4th) which is a right bugger.

Cheers...................................................IanH

ps Sarky - I know about the torque difference between V8 Straight 6 and an M5 would still get past me but as I said............. "childish behaviour on" :p

Steve - I'd guess that it'd be around 5 seconds (+ or - a bit ;) )

G
#17 ·
Thanks Ian .. thats really interesting stuff as the car i've bought has quite a few similar parts/upgrades. Sounds like the answer is to go for the ID boost controller and I guess the PFC should help as well ? ...

can i ask what exhaust you have ?

#18 ·
Steve - It's a Blitz Nur Spec with HKS down pipe & de-cat. I'm definately thinking about the iD as it seems A LOT easier to set up (and I already have the english setup guide too :D )

Ta.........................................IanH

#20 ·
Hiya Nick, I got it back friday morning and took to London (Metallica at earls court) for it's shakedown drive, flap me it's quick :D

I've got the boost set at 1.2bar (2 channels, auto and manual to see the difference) and it just flys. We couldn't get the apexi air filter I wanted in time (racing suction) so there's still that to do but Rod thinks it's around 375+bhp (getting it RR'd at Thor in the new year). I was a bit shocked at how quickly you can get used to it as a few days later it doesn't "feel" much quicker than when it was standard (no pit of the stomach acceleration feel if you know what I mean)???????

One thing that did suprise me was the level of knock. Before it was handed in the highest knock level was 30, now it's around 50-60 which was a bit worrying until I read that the PFC tells you that the knock level isn't that accurate.

I've also stuck on those nismo CF stickers, the pillar ones look great but I buggered up the spoiler ones (not straight) as I was still hung over........Doh :(

My dad lent me his Digi camcorder earlier so I took a quick 30sec video that I'll be putting up later. There's some kind of crackling on the video which is due to the camera quality (cheap £99 one)

I'll be down to the East Anglia meet next month and see you there..................................................IanH

#21 ·
Really glad that you got it all sorted, sounds awesome mate and will keep eyes open for the vid. So how are you going to close that 25bhp gap on your target then?

We certainly need you at the GT4 shootout event now Ian.

Will hopefully get the meet sorted shortly as well looks like we have finally got a date anyway with a couple of takers ...

#22 ·
5k for the turbo to come in seems a little to large and lots of lag, stoker next is it.....

Thats a lot of knock mate.... too much timing in there or not enough fueling. It is cold at the moment you sure your Boost controller is not over boosting also ?

would be interested in the Video clip.

#23 ·
Hiya Sarky - The turbo comes in at around 3000 but you're right about the cold affecting the boost, in either mode it's hitting the 1.25 limit unless I take it easy with the blur button. The fueling should be alright so I think it's the over-boost causing the knock.

I'm layed up in bed with a storming cold at the moment but I'll put the video up tomorrow (2.2mb, 30secs long).

I can't wait for the GT4 shootout, should be great day!

NickW - 25bhp, I'm hoping the filter will allow me to ease a little more out of it as I'm still on the stock airbox (not bad but could be better, just need some CAI & partition ideas now)

Have a proper Bo' Xmas peeps!!

#24 ·
have you thought about the pipework for the boost pipes.

They could need re-sealing as this can cause leaky boost in and out...... increase /decrease.

This would cause a boost spike...... also the boost readers.....

I like the sound of the direction your car is heading but now comes the fun part........

Regards Sarky ;) - On Robo's Account.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.