Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the new car has a recent rebuild (500 miles ago) and needs more running in. I'm thinking 500 more miles at less than 4k revs then an oil change to Silkolene Pro 15w 50 fully synthetic then should be good to go. Anybody got any views on this?

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
im not a believer in the very old method of mothering rebuilds,50 years ago when tolerances and materials were very different maybe

edit,apart from changing the oil

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What would you suggest then? Surely the mothering can't have a negative effect :confused:

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
id run it "normally2 then change the oil after say 500 miles

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
oooo what we got now then gb?

Well i'll tell you how i ran mine in
From 1st start 30 miles using cheap and nasty oil (driven gently)
Change oil and filter to semi synth
Run up to 500 miles 0.4 bar boost and 4k revlimit engine free revving
Change oil and filter again
At 750 miles raised rev limit to 5.5k and 0.6 bar boost engine free revving
850 miles rev limit to 7k still .6 bar boost drive the thing hard up to the limiter
Then 1000miles change oil and filter silkoline 15-50 oil and get it mapped.

Worked well for me:)

·
Seasoned Member
6,127 Posts
cane it from day one engines are not what they use to be when i got my rs turbo done from the bottom up 2years ago my mate who done the rebuild said just drive it and boy did i drive it and it has not let me down since have a look at tfr rebuild too he did the same

·
Seasoned Member
1,015 Posts
hi guys. if its helps this was my rb26/30 run in

20/50 asda oil for first 10 mins in garage,
filter only changed.
60 miles to m o t and a little run,3000rpm .5bar boost
new oil semi synth 15/50 5000rpm 1.7 bar boost now done 300 miles..

run in. perfect.
will take it to 500 miles in total then silkolene 15/50 pro r and mapping.
when the engine had done about 200 miles from new we ran it to 5000 rpm @ 1.7 bar thats about 650bhp.

·
Seasoned Member
1,015 Posts
p.s never run and engine in SOFT. you chance bore polishing.not good, drive it moderately hard not full boost but giving it a bit of pain. remember rings bed in ,in the first 40 miles tops.shells on the crank dont need bedding in,where people get a 1000 mile run in from i will never know.
my old rb26 motor i sold had done 4000 miles after i sold it,i built it and ran it in as above. but when i sold it i kept my cylinder head and cams. took the head off and wiped the soot of the piston crowns and they were like new, bore was great, could still see the cross hacking..as said above quality of components is better, you dont run a ferrari in ?.

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fair enough, thanks for the replies guys :cheers:

I'm just going to throw the engine against the wall and see what sticks ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
i kinda agree with bigcheif and rockabilly, i don't know huge amounts about engines but with today's components i don't think you'd have to be as careful as changing the filter every few hundred miles, i would run it upto 5K but not go silly with it (i.e. cruise upto 5,000 rpm, not tear it apart with like 1.5 bar with my foot through the firewall :))

1 - 13 of 13 Posts