Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently acquired myself a R33 that has been off the road for 4 months or so. upon looking around the engine bay i saw the coolant expansion tank has no cap on it and was covered up with a rag.

looking on, the coolant looks a rusty colour and the radiator cap has this rusty colour coolant on it.

is it just a case of flushing it out or could it be worse?

any help is really appreciated

·
in love with the twins
781 Posts
yeah just flush it though, just done both of mine, all the skylines ive had have always been the same the coolant always goes orange. dont worry about this there will be more worries in the furture.

·
R33 GTS25-T
597 Posts
Yeah flush it, but I suggest a true flush because it is COLD and it will help with your heater core. Things will be much better, trust me. =)

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Normally the radiator rusting. Good flush and heavier mixture of coolant for future. If you start seeing high(er) water temps your rad is probably blocked or close to. Get a new one then.

·
At home playing with myself!!!
3,180 Posts
I know this is a old post but thought it better using this than starting another,
ive changed my radiator to a 50mm Alloy from japspeed and when i pulled the pipes off the old radiator i seemed to have this orangy colour rusty coloured wated, as stated its probably due a coolant change (was getting one anyway) but i think it smelt abit burnt......is that notmal for old water? or is it just the coolant im smelling?
the car has also been off the road for nearly two months but gets started regular.

should i worry?

·
R33 GTS25-T
597 Posts
Yeah, different coolants and brands smell different. There is orange, and yellow, and kind of a more green-yellow, and the brands. They smell strange as ****, some of them. Lol

I wouldn't worry about that at all.

·
Registered
172 Posts
as for the original post , if the cap is left off or the cooling system is open to the atmosphere it will get more oxygen , more oxygen = more oxidisation its the same in heating systoms.

·
Registered
366 Posts
any? iv seached for the correct coolant on here but i cant find an answer.
i thought it was quite important to get the correct one and the wrong one could ruin seals and what not??

·
Registered
923 Posts
i thought it was quite important to get the correct one and the wrong one could ruin seals and what not??
If you are really that worried with coolant & seals, use the Nissan genuine stuff, however IMHO as long as you use a decent make & don't mix - it's all good ;)

Colour shouldn't really be deciding factor.....

Post links the products your are thinking about and we can review....

Adrian/DS

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.