Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All under the bonnet where the shock top mounts bolt up i have some rust appearing just wonderd how serious this can be and some advice really
thanks !. forgot to say its a1995 r33 gts.

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
i think most of the R33's suffer from this, just keep an eye on it and if it looks bad take it to a body shop for them to have a look at

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
You can always do what i did and remove the shock/spring and paint the whole wheel arch in hammerite paint. Its got rust inhibitors in it so should stop anymore rust forming. BTW white hammerite is a near exact match for a white skyline.

·
Banned
1,919 Posts
The inner wing has very little paint and no under seal let alone rust protection , if the plastic wheel arches are missing there is nothing stopping the crap and then corrosion forming.

The best solution is to remove the outer wing and drop the suspension down , clean all the rust off , treat rust killer then with a zinc inhibitor, then hammerite , then a decent underseal.

I had no signs of rust but recently did mine as a precaution although i didnt drop the suspension i sprayed a rust inhibitor all around there and then brushed underseal on top.

This is the amount of paint under the arch!!!

There is also only a thin coat of paint on the inside of the outer wings

These cars are timebombs for corrosion

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys I agree prevention would have been better but in my case i think il need a body shop as the scabs look pretty bad i would have liked to have posted pics but im a bit caveman on a pc! thanks for your advice though.:crazy:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The inner wing has very little paint and no under seal let alone rust protection , if the plastic wheel arches are missing there is nothing stopping the crap and then corrosion forming.

The best solution is to remove the outer wing and drop the suspension down , clean all the rust off , treat rust killer then with a zinc inhibitor, then hammerite , then a decent underseal.

I had no signs of rust but recently did mine as a precaution although i didnt drop the suspension i sprayed a rust inhibitor all around there and then brushed underseal on top.

This is the amount of paint under the arch!!!

There is also only a thin coat of paint on the inside of the outer wings

These cars are timebombs for corrosion
SACK THE BLOODY ROBOT PAINTER LAZY SOD

·
R33 GTST Owner.
244 Posts
wttc mate, i have same problem on car im buying im just going to hammerite over it as it looks like its just a bit of rust in the bay!

·
Banned
1,919 Posts
wttc mate, i have same problem on car im buying im just going to hammerite over it as it looks like its just a bit of rust in the bay!
Its unlikely to rust from the engine bay down as the paint in the engine bay is good and its shrouded from the weather, underneath is a magnet for dirt and moisture

If you have any bubbling around the struts its a warning to take action and quickly , the longer its left the more expensive it gets .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts