Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i've a set of 550's here and runnin a safc II. I've heard of people using the safc to run the injectors but can this be done safely? Current spec is:-

hks 2540 turbo (runnind 1.0 bar)
xs power downpipe and elbow in one
decat
blitz nur spec exhaust
blitz sus power induction
japspeed FMIC
walbro pump
high flow fuel filter
safc II
I've a q45 afm but gonna sell it and get a z32.
Anybody any advice or done this before. If it can be done safely would anyone have an idea on what sort of air signal corrections would be involved? Ideally I will get the car mapped but not until ive finished with the mods, still cams, manifolds etc to come in the distant future. thanks for any input :dogpile:

·
Registered
20 Posts
it's not the most complex way of doing it, but no reason why it can't be done. you wont get any ignition control, but im sure you know that anyway.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
brilliant, so is it simply a matter of putting them in? They're the deutschwerks ones so think the resistence is still low. Will I have to adjust the settings on the safc to drive on this setup? I was thinkin of installing them and driving to a close at hand tuner to set the safc up for the best configuration. Would there be a problem with doing this? thanks for the feedback so far. :)

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
dont do it. the safc's cause the oem ecu to mess the ignition timing up. hence why rich at rsp does not like fitting them.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
i think because all your doing is corrupting the afm signal the ecu is not advancing the timing correctly (as its reading the corrupted signal instead of the actual real figures). I know what i mean in my head but that doesnt sound just right :) gts andy, any idea of what sort of correction values you'd actually lean it out by? I can do it after i get them in but as i reading from the NB o2 dont think this will be accurate enough. This is only a quick fix until i get it mapped ian so not intending on running it full time. Pissin off to oz shortly but dont wanna be blowing the car up in the mean time :)

·
Drift Moderator
1,935 Posts
Oh right, thought you meant it was going into safety mode or something. There's nothing wrong with SAFC, esp at less extreme boost levels. You'll just wont have as much power as if you had a proper ECU that you were able to setup timing advance for best torque.

Factory setups are very safe. If you are leaning out the fuel and the ECU has the timing advanced more than it might otherwise then its probably at a point thats giving you more torque anyway. I very much doubt its advanced too much to a dangerous level.

You're really asking for trouble if you just guess the amount of adjustment on the dials though. You can't tune with a narrow band o2 sensor, it only measures stoichemetric (sp?) and you need to be much richer than that, around 12.5 ish, when on boost which is the whole point of putting in bigger injectors.

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
all i know is that it does mess the timing up. how much im not too sure but rich said he wont fit them anymore as its cheaper for one of his stage 1 ecu's :)

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
no it works out the same and its far safer :)

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
much better profit margins more like it
lol very good :)
I know what ians sayin too though, already contacted rich and he said the chip would be no good for me and just to get a custom remap. Can't really afford one of them at the mo so goin for the sexier cheaper more dangerous option, livin on the edge baby lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts