Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Just wondering if anyone is using the SAFC NEO and what your experiences have been with it (good bit of kit, worth the money, any problems with it?)

Also when you had it installed and set up on a rolling road - what did the garage you used make of it. Did they comment whether it was easy to install and set up? How long did it take them?

Finally, who would you guys recomend in Scotland (central if possible but I am willing to travel if needs be) that would have the expertise required?

Just curious as I am at the stage where I am looking for a piggyback ECU and with the SAFC II now in short supply ( I'm not an e-bayer - have never used it and probably never will) the NEO seems like the obvious choice....BUT.... i've not heard much aout them and just looking for a bit of info.

Thanks in advance. :drivin:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Don't know anybody personally running the neo

but have been told by some tuners the SAFC 2 is a better unit,
So thats what i put in mine had no problems with it so far

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Neil, did any of these tuners give you a reason why they considered the SAFC 2 the better unit? The Neo allows more points for adjustment and appears very user friendly. So i am wondering whether it is possible that the tuners are simply saying the SAFC 2 is a better unit because they are familiar with it and more comfortable setting it up? Oftentimes people dont like change.

Not being a tuner i wouldnt know so this is a serious question and not intended to be argumentative. I am aware that i can sometimes come across as such. :D:D

·
Registered
281 Posts
Vicky
i don't really now why they said that it may be they had knowledge with the older unit?

I spoke to about 3-4 different people and they all said go for the 2, they did tell me some technical reasons why but it all sounded like french to me. Sorry can't help any more than that

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies folks - Not sure what to think now, may well hold out and try to trackdown a second hand SAFC II.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
I have a SAFC2 fitted and does the job ok.
I would like ignition timing on the next ecu I get = more power,
pay the extra now.

power fc or emanage ultimate

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Hey Vicky!
It´s because the SAFC II has knock monitoring and wider adjustment ranges from -50% to +50% !

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again for the replies folks.

I just don't understand why a manufacturer would bring out a product that is supposed to superscede a discontinued product, give it fewer functions and make it inferior???

I'm not planning on going past stage 1 mods (whatever that is - seems to change on a regular basis) so didn't think I would need to go down the replacement ECU route - thought a piggyback would meet my requirements.

Might need to continue hunting for an SAFC II then.

·
Autobahn Burner
1,223 Posts
NEO does not monitor knock, never used one personally but my friend in japan runs an Autobacs and he said it doesn't, looked at the wire digram, and Vicky is correct it does not connect to knock sensors

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
i have one and am getting it installed and mapped on saturday.

I am trying to get a dyno run sorted before and after - so I will relay the results :)

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
the neo or SAFC II is going to be one of my next purchases so i to am interested in the results

keep us posted on the results speedfreek

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Look forward to hearing how you get along Speedfreak. I think these look like really trick bits of kit. Dont think it will do much good in my deisel estate though. :(

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
the neo or SAFC II is going to be one of my next purchases so i to am interested in the results

keep us posted on the results speedfreek

will do guys :)

It was a trade off between the SAFC2 and the NEO

SAFC2 = knock sensing - proven track record
NEO = colour, bigger resolution

In the end, I went the greater resolution swung it for me.

Just out of interest - and I know this question has been done to death - but roughly what power do RB25DET's with auto boxes put out as standard?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Speedfreak - who is it that you are using to install and set it up?

Make sure you quiz them about how they found the installation and set up.

Very interested to hear your fedback though

Cheers

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Speedfreak - who is it that you are using to install and set it up?

Make sure you quiz them about how they found the installation and set up.

Very interested to hear your fedback though

Cheers

I am using Jez Horsham of Horsham Developments. He does great work with the 200 lot - and I have great confidence that he will do just as good work with the skyline :)

I will give you a full rundown when its all done :)

·
Censored
7,453 Posts
ive had a chance to have a look at the neo, its quite a nice bit of kit. The colour screen is of great appeal, although early units suffer from "burn-in" where a low quality LCD screen has been used.

Neo has 16 mapping points, and 2 has 12, both have programmable rev points, and adjustment of +/- 50%. However, I do not think the extra 4 points is much of a big deal, and if you are really concerened about a *possible* tiny performance increase then maybe you should be looking at a better ECU.

The 2 does have the advantage of knock monitoring, aswell as being cheaper (used only as it is discontinued).

Both units are perfectly adequate for a stage 1 car, and i think ultimately the 2 wins with the knock monitoring. (for me anyway).

Just out of interest - and I know this question has been done to death - but roughly what power do RB25DET's with auto boxes put out as standard?
246BHP on Jap fuel.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Hi5 - informative as ever - Still can't decide which I want or is best.

Is there any stand alone unit/meters that you can buy that solely monitors knock levels (that aren't replacement ECU's or piggybacks - or is that not possible)??

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Thanks Hi5 - informative as ever - Still can't decide which I want or is best.

Is there any stand alone unit/meters that you can buy that solely monitors knock levels (that aren't replacement ECU's or piggybacks - or is that not possible)??
yes to a point

XS Knocklite will give flash a red light at you when it detects knock, also there are other units that can visually display knock levels.

Can something like the J&R safeguard be used on a skyline as that will retard timing automatically when it detects knock?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts