Skyline Owners Forum banner

SAFC Neo

1K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  Deggsy 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

Just wondering if anyone is using the SAFC NEO and what your experiences have been with it (good bit of kit, worth the money, any problems with it?)

Also when you had it installed and set up on a rolling road - what did the garage you used make of it. Did they comment whether it was easy to install and set up? How long did it take them?

Finally, who would you guys recomend in Scotland (central if possible but I am willing to travel if needs be) that would have the expertise required?

Just curious as I am at the stage where I am looking for a piggyback ECU and with the SAFC II now in short supply ( I'm not an e-bayer - have never used it and probably never will) the NEO seems like the obvious choice....BUT.... i've not heard much aout them and just looking for a bit of info.

Thanks in advance. :drivin:

#4 ·
Neil, did any of these tuners give you a reason why they considered the SAFC 2 the better unit? The Neo allows more points for adjustment and appears very user friendly. So i am wondering whether it is possible that the tuners are simply saying the SAFC 2 is a better unit because they are familiar with it and more comfortable setting it up? Oftentimes people dont like change.

Not being a tuner i wouldnt know so this is a serious question and not intended to be argumentative. I am aware that i can sometimes come across as such. :D:D

#5 ·
Vicky
i don't really now why they said that it may be they had knowledge with the older unit?

I spoke to about 3-4 different people and they all said go for the 2, they did tell me some technical reasons why but it all sounded like french to me. Sorry can't help any more than that

#7 ·
I have a SAFC2 fitted and does the job ok.
I would like ignition timing on the next ecu I get = more power,
pay the extra now.

power fc or emanage ultimate

#9 ·
Thanks again for the replies folks.

I just don't understand why a manufacturer would bring out a product that is supposed to superscede a discontinued product, give it fewer functions and make it inferior???

I'm not planning on going past stage 1 mods (whatever that is - seems to change on a regular basis) so didn't think I would need to go down the replacement ECU route - thought a piggyback would meet my requirements.

Might need to continue hunting for an SAFC II then.

#13 ·
the neo or SAFC II is going to be one of my next purchases so i to am interested in the results

keep us posted on the results speedfreek

#15 ·
will do guys :)

It was a trade off between the SAFC2 and the NEO

SAFC2 = knock sensing - proven track record
NEO = colour, bigger resolution

In the end, I went the greater resolution swung it for me.

Just out of interest - and I know this question has been done to death - but roughly what power do RB25DET's with auto boxes put out as standard?

#20 ·
yes to a point

XS Knocklite will give flash a red light at you when it detects knock, also there are other units that can visually display knock levels.

Can something like the J&R safeguard be used on a skyline as that will retard timing automatically when it detects knock?

#27 ·
Yep, and Crap Splitfire Spark plugs, I think the heat range wasn't as high as advertised!
I use the safc 2 because on hot days when I see a bit of knock I add a bit of fuel before the ecu even notices anything.

My engine went at about 155-160 mph as i was racing a 350z on the autobahn, but by the time i noticed my engine was running poorly I didn't see any knock, it might have shown up but been too late and i was so distressed i didn't even think to use the peak hold feature.

It just might have been high cyl temps due to my leaky exhaust manifold
(both studs broken on no 6) and never had any knock.
I'll never know, but that knock sensor has saved my butt before when my fpr line popped off and I started to run lean under boost!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.