Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Man with Welt of Horse
370 Posts
Screamer pipes are used best on externally wastegated turbo set up, STD RB26 runs two internally gated turbo's that vent into the down pipe. Any you have seen with screamers are no doubt runnin an huuuuuuuuuge top mount turbo with an external gate. So unless you're planning on going down that road, not much point really!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
You can run screamers on any setup you want TBH if you're prepared to get your hands dirty and cut/weld a little.

Even on standard turbos.

Standards - drill into the factory exhaust manifolds and weld on a mount onto each for an external wastegate. You can remove the factory actuators and replace them with a simple custom fabricated bracket that just hold the standard internal wastegates closed. I've also seen the factory wastegates sealed with three spots of weld on the actual wastegate itself, but I'd rather just brace them closed using a bracket to replace the actuators. Purchase appropriate external wastegates and fit to the newly added flanges now welded on each exhaust manifold. Fabricate a dump pipe for each wastegate that goes wherever you want it to - straight down onto the floor, out just behind the passenger front wheelarch, etc. - wherever you want the screaming to emanate from :p

Alternatively, if you upgrade to HKS downpipes, the wastegate has it's own mini downpipe which joins into the main one just before the final downpipe flange. If you want to cut and weld, you can redirect this into a dump/screamer pipe then just weld a curved plate in to seal the hole in the main downpipe section. As you are still using the integrated wastegates on the turbos however, there will be some blow-by as these aren't completely sealed from the main turbine exhaust section. You can fiddle with extra bits of metal in the downpipe to try and seal it if you like but I don't think you'll ever get a perfect seal without welding it IMHO and this might result in a permanent exhaust leak from the main turbine exhaust through into the wastegate/screamer dump pipe.

If you're not spending all the moolah to go for a big single or replace the turbos for none-wastegated ones and all you really want is the noise then my preference would be the first option - external wastegates welded onto factory manifolds and the OE actuators replaced with brackets. Nothing like a bodge on the cheap to get the desired effect :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts