Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Cambridgeshire
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure how well this will go down.. anyone is free to comment..

basically this space is for the self tuners out there.. if you have any questions to why what or how.. what equipment to get, how its used etc.

im here to help.. mapping is my passion, not just my job..

i would like to see more people getting involved their own cars.

this is also a space to post your datalogs if you want them looking at etc..

Martin

·
Dorset/Wilts Area Rep
8,231 Posts
Oh yeah def up for this......

hardware
software

Creating a very safe base map.

Changing new maps depending on engine changes ie injectors.

Gaining more power.

Thats the stuff I would be interested in.

·
Seasoned Member
9,066 Posts
Nice idea Martin :)

Subcribed!

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts

·
this is me take it or do one....that simple
4,082 Posts
im defo interested in this thread ive got a spare laptop at hme which could be used to test maps on my 2nd car which i dont use so martin spill the beans please lol

·
Registered
5,311 Posts

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
nice one.

First question then.

Can you give me instructions on how to wire a HKS Fcon into a Audi RS4 taht has had a set of twin turbos fitted.

How would i go about creating a base map?

·
Cambridgeshire
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
right.. great feedback..!!

ok..

well what im looking at doing is not write technical articles on how a noob should follow this to map an engine..,
more of a trying to sort some issues some of the self mappers are having.

its an open book here..

since there are so many different software/hardware configs availabe it would be hard to make up a guide for all of the various versions.

im also more than happy to run a tutorial day if you want to learn to tune your own car.

·
Cambridgeshire
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nice one.

First question then.

Can you give me instructions on how to wire a HKS Fcon into a Audi RS4 taht has had a set of twin turbos fitted.

How would i go about creating a base map?

your going to have to find the pinout for your HKS f con.. and the pinout for your Audi..

then the fitting of the HKS unit would follow normal fitment for generic piggyback..

in regrads to building a basemap. if you want to get right into it. youll need a scope to measure your ecus current inj PW on the normal driving..
this can then be entered into the fuelling table for sub100kpa.
youll then extrapolate this for boost at 1.5:1 ratio. meaing it'll get pretty rich.

then im guessing youll be changing injectors. so youll have to recal.

ign timing wise.. i would be using a vehicle scanner for showing current ign angle..

plot that out into your HKS.. then work on your boosted portion.. pent roof multi valve motor at 9.5:1 CR would tolerate a base ign map of about 12-13 degrees without things getting too hot and risking det..
det cans on. set your fuelling up basically so you can acheive perhaps an 11.5 thro pull..
start to work back on timing..
the rest is then up to you!:)

·
... is modifying the driver
7,524 Posts
im also more than happy to run a tutorial day if you want to learn to tune your own car.
Martin - this is a great thread and this ^^^ is an excellent idea - i would be up for heading down to attend

·
Cambridgeshire
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Can we get a general idea of equipment needed to tune an engine:-

Re-mappable ECU.
Laptop.
Wide Band Lambda Sensor (fitted where)

what else?
you of course need an equipment checklist.

a retuneable ecu.. that is suitable for your application.. (personally for people starting to map from full amatuer yet interested status i would be using a powerfc or nistune (r33 300zx ecu and type 2 board)

Laptop.. i use an old Delld600 with direct serial connection.. (if you want to use usb then youll need a usb convertor if you have a serial device. (use Prolific type)
the laptop doesnt need to be anything special.

a wideband..
now for the first tuner.. and n car fitment i cant recommend the AEM UEGO enough..
its perfect for want you want.
it also has 0-5v output and serial connection, so can emulate wideband into nistune or powerfc dataloggit and all other standalones.

timing light - to check for ign drift and setting base timing. (just a cheap dumb timing light, nothing special necessary)

det cans.. there are a million electronic versions for sale.. ive tried them all.. and i always go back to my stethoscope and tube with 10mm copper pipe (from an AC supplier.)

a friend to drive for you..

if you have an R33 and want to nistune. i can supply a modifed plugin version of the 300zx ecu with nistune installed ready to tune including a base map..

if you want apexi powerfc.. youll need an apexi dataloggit box. (i can rent these out.)

i would not recommend trying to tune a LinkG4 if you ar a first timer.. personally i think Nistune would be the best option.

To add:

obviously the engine and associated systems need to be good working order before you start to tune..

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree this is a great idea. I can also say that it is not a good idea to try to tune a Link on your first time, just looking at the graphs that Martin had work some magic it is mind blowing on how complex everything is...lol just trying to control boost is a nightmare for me.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts