Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Car had full service today including all belts and new set of iridium sparklers. What a difference! Much more responsive and generally feels crisper if that makes sense to anyone. Really chuffed with it. So to any newbies like myself to definitely sort the basics before moving on to more exciting goodies. :)

Copped out and handed it to my local garage to service and got them to give it full check-over. Feel much more relaxed with car now its been given clean bill of health. Always a little paranoid with a new motor. My local garage are stars! :D

So that out of way gonna start with the toys. It came with full s/steel exhaust, downpipe, uprated panel filter, apexi s-afc, boost and water guages, strut brace and coilovers. So next on agenda, along with re-settting ecu;

Apexi induction cone,
De-cat,
Boost controller.

Followed by rr set-up.

That'll be basics out of way by end of next week hopefully. What next? Any thoughts? Also cooling, whats best route?

Sorry about woffly post, just wanted to bore yer all with me car! :eek: :D

·
Administrator
4,233 Posts
My advice to everyone. If your gonna modify a car, start with a fully programmable ECU, such as an Apexi, or at least an piggy back system like the Greddy E-manage.

At least that way you get the full benefit of any other modifications you make.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Makes a certain kinda sense Martin. But thinking right now that i would reserve judgement on ecu until i have decided just how far i'm gonna take the car. Cos this would influence choice of ecu i think. The power-fc looks cool though. :)

Guess really it was a silly question, if i dont know what i want how can anyone else! :eek:

Better question might have been; how do i read my damn boost guages? What does -7 to +7 mean on my standard one? This isn't psi surely? Also how do i understand the aftermarket greddy one which reads in kg/cm? What do the readings on this mean in psi? Have had a look at pressure conversion chart but seems to require maths! :(

Also what is the twiddly thing on the end of wiper stalk? :eek:

Thanks. Vicky

·
Registered
649 Posts
I'm just guessing here, but I think that the standard boost gauge reads in mm of mercury, 700mm being roughly 1 bar! I think :)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Another guess is that the twiddly thing on the end of the wiper stalk is the intermittent adjustment of the wipers

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
your are will only be boosting to around 0.7 bar if standard Vickx, two stage boosting from 0.4Bar first then up to 0.7bar.

The twiddly thing on the end of the wiper stalk is your hand :) or it could be a variable timer between screen wipes, which is more likely :)

If you want to know conversion give me a pm and I will send you some bits

S

·
0 Posts
The standard boost gauge is wildly inacurate anyway so I wouldn't bother with it to much. Just get yourself a decent aftermarket one that reads in PSI or BAR.

you mods plan makes sense to me - the standard ECU will be fine with those mods, might be worth thinking about a HKS f-con S rather than the SAFC though as I belive its a bit better.

Simon

·
Gets Blown by Twins :D
2,327 Posts
Hiya Vicky, your greddy boost gauge reads in kg/cm which is almost identical to bar (ie 1.00kg/cm is 1.0bar). It's a tiny bit less the further up the boost range you go but it's pretty much the same as bar.

Cheers.....................................................IanH

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. Variable intermittant wiper speeds, bit posh innit. :D

Rang Abbey motorsport today and ordered the induction kit. Really nice on phone, advised me on some other stuff too. :)

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. Variable intermittant wiper speeds, bit posh innit. :D

Rang Abbey motorsport today and ordered the induction kit. Really nice on phone, advised me on some other stuff too. :)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Which induction kit are you going for? You wanna watch out with Abbey, especially Scott, he gets you to part with 2 much money!! Just ask my credit card company;)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
jedigtr said:
Which induction kit are you going for? You wanna watch out with Abbey, especially Scott, he gets you to part with 2 much money!! Just ask my credit card company;)
Yeah, just give him a good SLAP!:spank:

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yup, sounds completely different to anything else i've ever driven with induction kit.

Gonna teach it to wolf whistle at young lads as i brrrmmm past! :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
Would anyone recommend having a service done at their local Nissan dealer. I have had the car a month now and really should get it looked at but don't have the time to take it out of Sheffield for the day.

It's just hit 61k miles so although it claims to have had anew cam belt after 30k km it is going to make me sleep a little better if I have it checked out.

Are local nissan dealers well trained enough to be able to look after my stage 1 baby do you think or should I just let them tinker with the basics and drive it over to Rod Bell in the Spring.

Or even better does anyone know a good garage with experiance of Skylines in Sheffield.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
LOL Vicky, glad you are pleased with it.

Wheelnut - I have had one good experience and one really bad with Nissan dealers.

I guess you are only 50-60 miles from Middlehurst Nissan though are you not? May be worth running to theirs for a service and health check.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For servicing i took mine to my local garage who i have known for years and are stars. So would say that a garage you trust is the most important for this sort of stuff, not whether they know Skylines or not. Not keen on big dealerships, Nissan or otherwise.

Obviously tuning is different ball game and good to take it to someone like Rod Bell.

Having said that about dealerships, Middlehurst Nissan seem very nice on phone, but suspect they're not yer average dealership.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts