Skyline Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lm located in Sunderland and had heard of knight racer on here.
called them for a quote and negotiated a deal of 2500.00
this was a fixed price l stipulated that it had to be a fix price, as the travel was to far to negotiate on arrival.
they where give pictures of my car. all infomation on the kit. inc suppliers web site. l then paid deposit had to wait 6 weeks to get the car in.

Hire car trailer borrow a transit with tow bar. coz of transporting car and kit.

On arrival unloaded car and kit. then the quote comes out and excusses start about price and lm asked to wait till he goes to a meeting.

hang around till after 1500 and then told the price is no longer fixed at 2500.00
they want a min 3850.00 min! for starters.

as you can imagine l was not happy and argued for as couple of hrs about this fixed price. then decided that l did not want to pay more and these guys were taking the piss big styal. and dicided to pack the kit and trailer the car again.

l was given a cheque for my deposit only
l was considerably out of pocket for trailers transits and fuel.

l just say think long and hard before handing over your pride and joy to these people.
:minigun:

T

·
0 Posts
Hang on let me get this straight....3850 for fitting and painting the car and kit? British pounds?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hang on let me get this straight....3850 for fitting and painting the car and kit? British pounds?
yes that was the min coz they would no longer fix the price and l was told that their would be no garentes with the job

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ye l have a local company to do the job now and they are doing a grate job
car bike magic in sunderland only 2miles away

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lve had a few PM from other skyline owner club members l do hope that this is not deleted out people need to know about the companies there dealing with. that is one of the forum jobs so people can get this type of info.......l wish l new what l know now

·
White/carbon r34
1,051 Posts
these people really damaged my car and ruined it with their shoddy products but my posts got deleted on them. i dont want to rock the boat but the thread should have been left for others to read to avoid this, now a few people have moaned surly there IS an issue.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
There is always 2 sides to every story, what is the condition of the kit.

if the kit was crap it may need hours spending on it to make the fit perfect.

Having said that, I got my first GTS-T Jun kit, and full house paint for £800. that was a few years ago now, but £1500 would see that done today. £2k tops!

·
Bodykits, Customising & Performance Parts
4,911 Posts
On the initial telephone conversation I gave you a quote of around £3850, which you said you couldnt afford, and your mate in a local bodyshop can do it for around £2500. I said i can only match that price if the bodykit itself was fit, prepped and ready for painting and the fitting was spot on.

Dont forget that this was a R32 to R34 conversion kit, so consisted of a lot of panels and needed a full car respray to a show finish.

We normally charge £2500 for a show finish respray, so from our point of view, we were fitting the kit for nothing. I only agreed to this as a semi-sponsorship which you were happy to do, but only on the condition that there were no modifications or work required on the kit. We simply had to fit, blend in the edges of the rear quarters and respray the car. You assured us that the kit was great, the finish was perfect and the fitment was spot on.

However, when the kit arrived this was NOT the case. The fibreglass kit was NOT prepped as you said, it has too many flaws in the fibreglass which you can obviously tell by the amount of HOLES it had, and that was just the front bumper!

I showed you one of the rear quarter panels where the fibreglass texture was protruding out on the surface of its ultra thin gel coat! You agreed that you can see it now where you didn’t really notice before as you didn’t really know much about fibreglass and took it for granted the seller said its perfect condition.

Then i aligned one of the panels up and it was obvious it was too short and needed building up to meet the edges!

We are not interested and will always avoid any bad workmanship, which was what we kept trying to explain to you on the day. We can only charge what is required for the job, otherwise we will just have to say no thanks.

I explained to you that we can do the job, but for Knight-Racer to do the job, it had to be PERFECT– meaning panel to panel gaps are spot on, no un-eveness between panels, smooth surface finishes as well as show condition paintwork. Which could be done, just needed more labour time and materials.

I suppose if there wasn’t such a high expectation of the end result then we could have done it for £2500, but we cannot guarantee it and we cannot put our name next to it, which meant we just couldn’t do it.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I explained to you that we can do the job, but for Knight-Racer to do the job, it had to be PERFECT– meaning panel to panel gaps are spot on, no un-eveness between panels, smooth surface finishes as well as show condition paintwork. Which could be done, just needed more labour time and materials.

I suppose if there wasn’t such a high expectation of the end result then we could have done it for £2500, but we cannot guarantee it and we cannot put our name next to it, which meant we just couldn’t do it.
Sums up what I was aiming at !!!!

it's all about the quality :)

·
Banned
406 Posts
Always two sides to the story in these situations, is between the two and regardless whats posted only the two really know whats said and whats gone on and all of this should really be left there.

'Not saying anything either way as i dont know in this situation' but Body work is very time consuming, ''your only going to get what you pay for'' if you want a cheap price your get a cheap job simple and thats fair, ive seen 1000 pound resprays that are supposed to be the nuts that turn out total pants, people arnt going to work for nothing, why people try and knock down the price i dont know, theres not normally loads of money in it, just a labour rate - it will take hours and hours just to flat and mop a car after its been sprayed.

The best way to appreciate whats involved is to try a bit yourself and see the time factors and labour rates involved.

i just know alot of sprayers that have the same kinda thing some working if worked out on an hourly basis for a pittence sometimes for nearly nothing.

Vehicle refinishing and fibreglassing is a really tough game always has been and think always will be.

:cheers:

T

·
0 Posts
Yes that's agreeable and understandable. But I think it was a shock to Worpdrive being overcharged like that. Thats all. ;)

I work in fiberglass and know how bodyshops run.
Somebody has to keep the lights on and the ovens running :)

·
Banned
406 Posts
Yeah true, just sounds like it was a fixed price with provisoes and if the provisoes arnt met then the company should be able to charge more, couldnt see anyone really at fault just one of those things i spose.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes it is always easy to to say 2 sides to a story
But whos is the story
l think lll let every one else make there own mind up. lm not out to ruin companys but this is a car forum and this company is a trader on this forum
my car will be in plain view at the national meet. if people would like to speak to me please that is not a problem

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah true, just sounds like it was a fixed price with provisoes and if the provisoes arnt met then the company should be able to charge more, couldnt see anyone really at fault just one of those things i spose.
fixed price and as much info as possible was given l dont make a habit of towing a car for 5hrs each way with out confirming everything first

·
Tyne/Wear/Tees Arse Rep/Gtr Shop Rep
11,412 Posts
£3850 :eek:

steep from any point of view IMHO!

worpdrive, im based in sunderland give me a shout if you want any advice etc...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.