Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i saw my friend shave his door handles on his prelude, how would you shave the handles, or do you have to get new doors.. plus how much would it cost.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
remove and smooth them off do you mean?
a friend who works in a bodyshop reckoned about £200 i think.. but said not to bother as it usually cracks over time from slamming the door.

·
Belgium/Netherlands Area Rep
2,060 Posts
no other doors just remove handle and have a bodyshop weld a sheet of metal in there and smooth it off respray and presto (dont forget to install the opening mechanism first though :D )

had it done 4 years ago still no cracks :)

·
bla
17,374 Posts
Im having this done at the mo... Some [email protected] ruint it by trying to nick it so instead off fixing it ill stop it all together....
You will have to get a proper pop open mechanism as some will not pop beyond the latch... Then you will have to rewire your handles, or buttons in this case, on the side mirrors... If its done properly and not just fillered up it wont crack....... And youll have to have a fob for it to work on... :)

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
Im having this done at the mo... Some [email protected] ruint it by trying to nick it so instead off fixing it ill stop it all together....
You will have to get a proper pop open mechanism as some will not pop beyond the latch... Then you will have to rewire your handles, or buttons in this case, on the side mirrors... If its done properly and not just fillered up it wont crack....... And youll have to have a fob for it to work on... :)
i thought that and then someone investigated the door with a screwdriver to see where the metal ended and filler began

made a right mess of both doors

·
bla
17,374 Posts
If its been done properly filler shouldnt have been used....... just a plate of metal welded, sanded and sprayed...

·
bla
17,374 Posts
yes it would :rolleyes: ...... It wouldnt crack...... And it would be done properly.....:nutkick:

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
mine have never cracked lol, i used to work in a bodyshop too and i have seen filler bubble up on really bad arches (old rolls royce that couldnt have new arches) but i have never seen it just crack open

·
Registered
772 Posts
If its been done properly filler shouldnt have been used....... just a plate of metal welded, sanded and sprayed...
That is very nearly impossible, and extremely expensive, as it would not be a flat panel, as the door is curved, the weld would have to be perfect and cause no panel distortion at all. I don't know of anyone in the UK capable of doing that and I work in the classic car restoration trade so know good panel beaters etc.

The only way to not use filler would be to lead load, which again, would cost a fortune and is a dying skill.

Even if filler is used, done properly it should last many years, (longer that the rest of the bodywork).

Alex B

·
Registered
772 Posts
Hence why I said nearly impossible! ;)

Unless it's an extremely expensive or rare car, (and then why would you be buggering about with the design! :D), there is little benefit of having no filler, over a very light skim, which, if the bodyshop is any good, is all you'd need.

Alex B

·
Belgium/Netherlands Area Rep
2,060 Posts
just welding in a metal plate and sanding to get a prefect result is (nearly) impossible, most bodyshops only use filler over it, best option is to have it covered in tin (second place goes to lead) but not every bodyshop will do this and its costly

1 - 13 of 13 Posts