Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won't say what speeds I was doing however I never went over a ton. My oil temp at one point got upto just over 110 degrees C. Is this normal in todays weather at a certain speed? Once I dropped back abit the oil temp went right down to normal around 83-84 degrees C. Can this be resolved without buying an oil cooler as it is an issue that shouldn't be there or is it an issue that all R32 owners have and therefore I need to buy an oil cooler as it's just part and parcel with the car? I've checked the oil btw and it's not burnt or thinned it's just as perfect as it was when I put it in 2 days ago.

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
by the sounds of it you need an oil cooler which i would recommend, my car runs under 85-90 degrees even after a spirited run and on trackdays around 100-110 degrees and as jock says what oil and grade are you using?

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The oil was reccomended by Abbey Motorsport. It is 15W 50 Mobile 1 Motorsport oil and was changed on Thursday night. The oil gets hot on the spirited run bit and then once you're doing 60/70mph it cools down to about 83degrees.

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
15/50 is good maybe castrol RS 10/60 might improve it but think you really need the oil cooler depends how you intend using the car if your going to do lots of trackdays then you really need one if not the car should cope but it's worth noting that the few UK spec cars came with oil coolers.The decision is yours.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
As venners said, it depends on what you intend doing with the car and how often you drive it "spiritidly" ;) The oil temp gauge on my old Pulsar always used to hit about 110 degrees but then I only did 2 trackdays in it. Actually, I'd be surprised if the oil should go that high under 100mph, but then it depends on how long you were driving at high speeds. Sounds like the oil cooler could be the way to go though. As mentioned, the UK spec Skylines came with oil coolers as standard, which tells you something.......

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah unfortunately there is no such thing as a UK spec R32

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
true only the R33/R34 in limited numbers were uk spec but you can still buy an oil cooler for an R32 but it's up to you of course.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I think I'm gunna have to. I am used to driving at reasonably high speeds on motorways but when your oil temp shoots up to 110 and then heads towards 120 you kinda think you have to back off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts