Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving a Subaru for a year, the love for the Skyline still stayed and I want to buy one. As I'm a student, I can't afford a GTS-t, so if there will be a Skyline, it will be a non-turbo.

Which brings some questions, hoping one of you can provide me with some awnsers.

1) Price: what's a good price for a 2.0 or a 2.5 NA? Mileage or age isn't a problem, but it has to be in good shape without upcoming service costs, or the price has to be okay.

2) What's the difference between the non-turbo and the turbo? Is the non-turbo also RWD and does it have fourwheel steering? And what type of brakes? 4 X disc?

3) What's the weight of a non-turbo?

4) What's its fuel consumption?

5) Is it possible to swap the engine with an RB25DET in the future?

Thanks!

ps. don't mention the shitty English, I'm Dutch :)

·
4,143 Posts
the engine can be swaped but itws cheaper to just buy the turbo.n/a come as rwd gts and 4wd gts4 and the 2.5 have 197 bhp.i think the mpg is about 30 ish.2.0 i think is way to slow to have a skyline badge.

·
Administrator
23,136 Posts
Depends what your after. I purposely sought out an N/A with a view to a big future project and couldn't rationalise the extra expenditure between now and then, I've basically paid for a shell. I see 400 miles to a full tank, and pay approx £300 per year on insurance, so now you can see where I'm coming from.

·
4,143 Posts
i do.if you want looks the a n/a is all good but if you want to go fast which i think is a just as important as looks you need a turbo.

·
Administrator
23,136 Posts
pitbull said:
i do.if you want looks the a n/a is all good but if you want to go fast which i think is a just as important as looks you need a turbo.
Or a supercharger ;)

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
If you can source a 2.5 GTS type S, or as it's frequently stated, GTS25S, you have a little more power and tuning potential. It comes out of the box at around 212 bhp, has higher compression at 10.1, a better exhaust system which is 78mm right through, sports steering wheel, HICAS 4WS standard and is RWD, it also has a nice Resonator in the induction system for a bit more pep.

If you then decat it, throw away the silly nissan panel filter and stuff a piece of reticulated water filter foam (aquatics stores) in there it'll be much better, you could also add an additional cold air intake as we have and you're up around 235 ish. Which unlike the turbo is available from standstill so is quite useful, and with these mods the whole car feels as though it's on steroids by comparison to standard. Yes it would be nice to have the turbo for the midrange but it's still very nice to drive. The final thing which changed the car for us was fitting 18" alloys and 40 profile tyres, the car handles so much better, you can actually use the power available to the full, it feels so at ease in the corners now, so look for one with 18" wheels.

...and you could always throw some NOS at it later!

Aitch

·
Administrator
23,136 Posts
Reticulated water filter foam? I can honesly say this is the first time I have ever heard of this. Care to discuss??????:dogpile:

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
ive a non turbo 2.5 and she is just the mut nuts. bit of a work in progress, need the 18inch wheels and some relatively small mods in the engine bay, plus ICE mebbe, but as an every day car, with all the potential to keep even this die hard motor bike rider who was dragged kickingscreaming onto four wheels, interested then shess a beauty. insurance and whatever is better as is mpg just make sure you get insurance for the non turbo not all companies have them listed

·
Censored
7,453 Posts
just noticed that he hasnt mention "R33" so could be talking R32. In which case the one to have is the GTST4, 2 litre turbo with GTR drive train. I'm always looking out for one myself :D

the 2.0 R32 has the RB20DE engine so a little bit better, probably acceptable, sporty perhaps :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Forgot to mention, I'm looking for a 33 ;)

Got to go now, will reply later on. Thanks a lot for helping out so far! Skyline Girl, may I have your Messenger-address for a chat about your 2.0?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
For the General, reticulated water filter foam.. the stuff HKS and numerous others charge you the equivalent of about £100 per square inch for.

If you are to use foam in an air filter it needs to be tough, so the silly stuff used for packaging etc is useless. But Water filter foam is used in marine engine intake applications and is as tough as old boots, it'll last years.

It can be purchased from most aquatic shops, especially those catering for Koi or other pond fish. It's available in a number of grades from course to fine, indicated by the colour of the foam, favourite for air intakes is Green. I have retained the original Nissan panel filter and box, I simply cut a rectangle of the appropriate size and stretch a stocking or tight over it just to play safe, cutting off the excess. This will allow huge airflow rates, and one sheet of foam at around £7 to £15 dependant on which grade you choose will last a lifetime. It can be washed over and over again, and several can be made from each sheet of foam, and it's so tough I wash mine with a pressure washer. I originally purchased the Nismo sports panel filter replacement, (£70) but when it became blocked after a year and proved very difficult to clean I changed to my current system, which we used to use in my grass track days.

It lets so much air through that I was able to add a second cold air feed, which I had not done previously as it's pretty pointless unless the system can flow the extra air through the filter.

Aitch

·
Seasoned Member
3,153 Posts
wait so your saying that the millions of pounds put into developing a CAR air filter is not as good as one developed for marine use?....and the proof of this is that it lets more air through and it doesnt block as fast.... did you ever wonder where all that dirt that the nismo one WAS blocking is going now? is it amazingly avoiding the new marine filter? or do you think its just passing through straight into the engine?!?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts