Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so today my R34 kissed a bank and the airbags went off.

It smashed my windscreen and dashboard - other than that, my R34 just needs a headlight (I have my original bumper in the back yard).

Has anyone replaced the passenger and steering wheel airbags, and anything I need to know before attempting them?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry to hear this to replaced the airbag you must disconnect the battery and take the small plastic clips located on the side of the steering wheel and take the two screws off one on each side and the airbag will pop off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks man. I was hoping I could unbolt it by just taking out the glove box, but it looks like the whole dash is coming out.
Any idea if an R33/S14 steering wheel plugs in (and if it doesn't annoy the airbag computer?) - the 4 spoke airbag type.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sourced the airbags, so I don't have to replace my steering wheel (but the leather has been falling apart and leaving black **** on my hands everytime I drive).

Does anyone know if the G-sensor needs to be replaced?
Anything I need to check to make sure that the new airbag might set itself off when I install it?
I don't want to buy another windscreen or set of bags.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just in case anyone needs help after a crash:
1. Tidy up your wreck and tow it to a panelbeater. Get them to take a good look under as it may need the chassis to be straightened. Get their verdict first.
2. Get the replacement parts and get the chassis straightened before you weld them in.
3. Get yourself some new airbags and a g-sensor.
4. Take out the old airbags. You will need a torx screw set. The driver airbag can be taken out by removing the plastic covers on either side at the back of the steering wheel. The passenger bag is connected to a steel rail behind the glove box. The screws are really tight so use a breaker bar. Both airbags have a bright yellow plug.
5. Take out the dashboard - start under the dash, around the steering wheel and around the glove box, and don't forget the 2 screws at either side of the demister vents right under the windscreen (might need a ball joint socket). There are about 6 screws around the passenger airbag that need to be taken out, along with some clips that hold it in place.
6. Take the negative lead off the battery for safety.
7. Put the new airbags where the old ones sat, tighten the torx screws and plug in.
8. Re-assemble the dashboard. It's not done yet - the airbag and seatbelt lights will stay on permanently.
9. Take out the gear stick surround and centre console (glove box side, not stereo end). There are 2 screws under the stick surround, and 2 screws on either side of the glove box. The g-sensor is the small silver box boolted to a steel plate.
10. Using the torx set again remove the 3 screws around the g-sensor, and use a 10mm socket to remove the phillips screw.
11. Unplug the old sensor and install the new one. A Stagea sensor will work in a Skyline, but will only be held by one screw (tighten the sh*t out of it). Laurel and Cefiro sensors might work also.
12. Re-connect the battery.
13. Put the key in the ignition, twist it to ON and hold the door sensor 5 times (turns off the interior lights), about half a second each time.
14. Wait a few seconds and the airbag light will slow flash and turn off. If it doesn't try the previous step again - you've only got 7 seconds to press the switch 5 times.
15. Your airbag and seatbelt lights will go back to normal.

Sometimes the seatblets will reset themselves, if they don't then remove the B-pillar trim and take out the seatbelts and give them a good hit (don't let them wind up too far). If you lie them on their side and try to pull them, they will not retract - they only work when upright/leaning about 2 degrees over (like when in the car). If you can't get them to wind up or unwind anymore then get yourself a new pair. The rear seatbelts are re-usable (so much for passenger safety..).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts