Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning All,

Having a look a my battery last night, and I noticed it was only about 3/4 of the size of the space available for a battery, and it was one of those weird ones where you have to fill em up !!

I am guessing it is the wrong battery, as I did wonder why my car lights turned into a disco when I wound the stereo up !!

Anyone know what the correct battery is, and what sort of price they are ?

Moff

·
"A Skyline with 4 doors?"
380 Posts
Well, believe it or not, it sounds like you have the stock size battery in your car. Japanese use very small batteries, and they all still have the electrolite fill ports. When I first bought my car over there I noticed that it had what I assumed was a motorcycle battery. So I went to the auto parts store and had them look up what battery belonged in the vehicle, and it was the same size.
Obviously, swapping the battery out for a full size one was one of the first things I did. Then I found out why they use the small ones, because car batteries are VERY expensive there. You may also notice when you do, that the smaller battery is actually taller. I found out because the brace that mounts to the front crossmember and holds the battery down wasn't even touching the battery. I had install a platform under it to raise it up so the brace would actually stop it from moving.
Basically, check out what batteries will fit and choose the one you prefer the best. Also, going to a larger non-Japanese battery, you're most likely going to have to install new post clamps. They use small clamps to match the small posts on the small battery. Notice a trend?

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers GTES-T,

Any ideas what ampage I can safely go to without blowing up my alternator and all the fuses !!

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
There was a post about this a few days ago, giving the part no for the battery and the final result of someones searching for a battery.

Give the search button a press.

·
"A Skyline with 4 doors?"
380 Posts
I don't know the exact limits for the Amps. But if it helps here's what I know can be used. Due to the cost of a battery, I forked out the extra money to get an Optima Red Top which has a 50Ah capacity and 980 Cranking Amps. A few people I knew spent even more to get the Yellow Top which has a 55Ah capacity and 870 Cranking Amps. The highest capacity of a battery I've seen installed was a 60Ah, so I know you can go that high, but I don't know if it can be higher or not.
Hopefully this helps you out!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I brtought one 2 weeks ago from a standard battery supplier, cost me thirty quid.

Nick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts