Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started a thread on The GT-R Register enquiring as to the need for TWO Skyline clubs www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7249
Although I'm not against the idea, i still can't understand something, why do people feel there is a need to do this, there are surely not enough cars to warrant two clubs, we are already a very small group, so why make us two smaller groups, and as I have stated on the GT-R Register, as both 'clubs' are still in their embryonic stages, would now not be a good time to unite ?
Surely everyone here, and everyone on the GT-R Register wants to achieve the same final goals, and i would assume that ALL would like the club to be established for some time yet, I can see two small clubs falling by the wayside.
So my question is simply WHY ?
I get the feeling from answers on the GT-R Register that no one there has the answer, and as i've noticed some of the forum users from there are here, so maybe someone here has the answers.
Or am i just being stupid (which is always possible)
Tobes.

·
Administrator
4,233 Posts
I can't read that thread. wants me to register :(

To be honest. We decided to setup the club because (from what I can tell) we believed everybody involved with the GTR Register seemed to be content with things the way they were, even though the poll suggested members would like a club.
Now, the formation of the SkylineOwners.com Club is mentioned on this forum and BAM (insert batman style effects here), the GTR Register decides to set a club up. Uniting the two clubs is going to be difficult, because they each seem to have different objectives in my opinion. The GTR Owners Club seems to be setup to provide firstly, financial aid to the GTR forum and secondly, to provide a community for GTR owners. Also, they mention about future GTR's not holding the Skyline name, and that's fine. They are throwing a very wide net, as the club will not only have skyline's but future GTR's also. Why not call it the Nissan Owners Club? Sorry, getting a bit off track now.

At SkylineOwners.com Club, prospective members are paying for club membership only. We therefore can offer more benifits at a much lower price. We also have no plans to support anything other than skyline models. I've not been involved with the GTR Register, I have only been reading the posts infrequently over the last month. I have no beef with anyone affiliated with the GTR Register. What I'm saying here may be completely of target, but it is my opinion from what I have read.

We didn't want to be competitive with gtr.co.uk, and we stated that from the start. This forum is for people to have unmoderated views. The current situation is making it very difficult to keep this forum neutral, but we are not going to be drawn into a tussle for members. You all can make your own minds up.

Now, I'm sure this post is going to stir things up :(

I'm happy to hear everyone's view on what has been said here. Any critisism is welcome. In the end, it's you owners that decide what's going to happen.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know I drive a Vauxhall (which obviously isn't a Skyline) but over in the Vauxhall camp there are lots of different clubs.

The two main ones are MIG and what used to be PVSCC, I'm not sure what they are called now.

The two clubs get on, I suppose there is an underlying tention between the two but some people are a member of both and everyone gets on.

Of course, there are more Vauxhall owners than Skyline owners but the same should still apply :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well...

...I'll happily join both clubs :)

(hope that doesn't alienate me from one or the other ;))

The total annual cost will still be less than a minor service (of which I have loads each year!) so I don't think its too much of a problem!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've donated and also become a member on the GTR site, I also don't have any issues with supporting this club, I doubt anyone else will either! What is the point you are trying to make, or are you simply just trying to cause a conflict between the two sites?

·
Administrator
4,233 Posts
That's exactly what we don't want. There is no reason why two forums, and there's more I'm sure, can't get along just fine. Same as the clubs, I think Cemesis made the point

·
Registered
220 Posts
Should have made the post clearer to who I was talking to, I was answering to the thread starter, don't have any issues with this club.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mleonard,

not looking to stir things up, quite the contrary, trying to search for resolution,

I have just posted this on The GT-R Register, i would ask you to share your thoughts;

I think the need for an Official or Authorised Club is long overdue, and much needed, i'm quite excited about being here at it's conception, and being part of something which i hope will become very special.
Although what you say is correct, and there are other clubs Skyline Group etc, The Club you are currently forming is going to be a (for the want of a better word) "real" club, and therefore not in direct competition.
There is only one RS Owners Club, one MG Owners Club, one TVR Owners Club and one Porsche Owners Club, if one was to buy one of said cars, their choice of owners clubs would number One, there is only one club to join, and that is recognised, there is unity.
The situation here is that two Clubs are forming at identical times, using identical forums, one being a mirror image of the other, and although i agree with what you say and the original being the best, what would really be nice is if both forums could happily run, but only have one Club.
Although i appreciate the 'Official' answer is "It's a free country, they can do what they like, and good luck", the reality of the situation is that all these people do know each other through a common interest, neither club has been Officially formed yet, so before it is could some common ground not be found, this would benefit ALL Skyline owners, (which as i understand it is the whole point of all this anyway) and by doing what is so obviously the right thing to do, an Officially Recognised club can be universally formed, with the Full support of very small community.
It is fairly obvious i would think, that as this is already the recognised forum, it would have been the basis of the club, if for no other reason, surely through natural progression, that said could the self appointed powers that be not hold out an olive branch of some sort, and keep this tiny community all heading in the same direction.

To be fair, you say, and i Quote "Now, the formation of the SkylineOwners.com Club is mentioned on this forum and BAM (insert batman style effects here), the GTR Register decides to set a club up." The GT-R register was talking about this as far back as 20 July 2002 www.gtr.co.uk (follow the "Club Skyline" link) but all that is irrevellent, this isn't tit for tat, you are spliting an already very small group of people, and i don't really care who did what to who or when, both clubs are apparently being formed for their prospective members, so do the right thing for ALL us prospective members now, and don't ask us to make the choice, that in the long term can only be harmful to the owners.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pidge,

It's not about the sites, that is not an issue, you can have as many forums as you like, the point is that there should or can only be ONE OFFICIAL CLUB, and as the clubs are not yet formed couldn't there be just One club ?
Am absolutely not trying to cause trouble, just find a solution that everyone is happy with, TWO clubs will never work, and neither will really be universally recognised, and that can only be detremental to all Skyline owners, everyone has called for the need for this club, now it's being done, please do it right, and don't cause a split, that's all.

·
Administrator
4,233 Posts
Tobes,

My only repsonse at this time, is that yes, it may well have been discussed back in July, but it seems that things are happening reactively, instead of proactively. I agree with what your saying in principal.

I will probably add more later

Martin

·
Registered
220 Posts
That's fine I can see where your coming from now, last thing anyone would want is a conflict between the two sites. Early days yet; but I'm sure the membership details will get worked out to accommodate both clubs and offer good shared advantages. For what it's worth considering this site has only been up for a couple of weeks, it's already looking attractive with lots of positive idea's, which gives me confidence that the club will have lots of good objectives. Rant over, off to do some mapping nice cold weather for it:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Having two Skyline clubs is faaaaaaaaaaaaaar better than having one for people who are members of both or even members of one. It encourages both clubs to offer more to get members and normally what they offer far out-weighs the cost to join.

For starters, isn't the SkylineOwners club £10 to join? You lot own Skyline's, £10 is half a Spark Plug to you so whats the problem with joining?

The GTR club is...*goes to look it up*...is £60, whoa that is alot but they do offer alot on their post. If I owned a £15,000+ car, I'd just join both.

Going back to my Vauxhall example, I think PVSCC is the offical Vauxhall club but MIG is bigger (I think, PVSCC don't have a website so its hard to tell) so a name means nothing, in the end its what the club offers that sets it apart

I think 'Official' can only be added if someone chats to Nissan :)

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
Tobes, I was unhappy with the way the GTR register was going..I didnt like it, I like the people on that site though. I dont see the point of you posting here to be fair. We have said from the start we are just here as an alternative to GTR. We arent here to compete or fall out with anyone. Everyone here so far is happy, no one is bitching, and everything is just fine.

I am already on both sites and will probably join the other forum in the future. There are a lot of dual sites, Subaru to name but one group. GTR has over 1000 members and they seem to think that we are a threat. Dont know why? I think that they seem to think there arent enough people to go around...dont they think that people can join both sites? or do they just want to have a monopoly?

Why cant GTR and co just let us get on with things? all we want is a bit of fun??? and what is the problem with that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cemisis,

I understand that Shin has spoken to Nissan, and from what i understand (and i could be mistaken) The GTROC UK is going to be Official, and i have to disagree with you two, virtually identical clubs within such a small community cannot be good for it's members, not because there is competition, or a friendly rivalry, but because there is far better offers, discounts and opportunities available to larger groups, although your points are entirely valid, i feel that it would apply better to larger groups.

Tigger
i know you're on both sites, and appreciate you're very popular on both, i had no idea you had issues with The GT-R Register.
I apologise if you think me posting on here is a waste of time, but just a couple of things before i dissappear, firstly, i in no way represent the GT-R Register in any way, so they are letting you get on with things, and there's no problem with that.
I think you are missing the point, this has nothing to do with the two sites, ONLY the club, there can be as many Skyline forums as anyone likes, no one from GT-R is commenting about any of this, the point i'm trying to make is as neither club is up and running, couldn't the clubs be combined, (forget about the forums) and have a single club, surely that would benefit all members in the long run ?
Oh, and Tigger, i'm not looking for an arguement, no need to be quite so hostile and defensive.

Martin,
Shin has said that he is open to suggestions if anyone should wish to discuss options with The Club (not the forums Tigs, calm down) i'm sure you could contact him if you wanted to, someone at some point needs to be the bigger person, it can't hurt to at least see if you couldn't combine both clubs.

Tobes.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm not taking any sides here but I think the Skylineowners club will appeal to more GTS owners than the GTROC will, nothing to do with cost but purely for the name.

Ppl are not ashamed of the GTS but at the same time know its not a GTR, so being a skyline club will appeal to far greater numbers i believe, it justs makes sense. Also GTR/GTS can be better represnted that way from day 1 not afterward.

All i can say is all the best to both clubs as its never easy starting off new, so lets all hope they both stride to better things:D

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
Tobes, you are welcome on here, as is anybody. I am still on GTR and will stay on both. I dont think it is possible to have one club as we are both fundamentally different as Martin has already said. We are here not to make a profit or to pay solely for the site, we are doing a club to give something back to you guys in way of discounts etc. I am defensive because I am fed up with the negative view on the GTR forum, especially recently, I hope you can appreciate this. What do you really think we get out of doing this forum/club thing? there is no money in it for us....we are doing it because we want to try and give something back to everyone. We offer a club for everyone, one club for ALL marques of the Skyline.. If Cem or Guy really wanted me to help do you not think that they would have emailed me or pm'd me or for that fact tried to speak to Martin or Richard here, no, just silence.....I am not going to justify this anymore. End of.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tigger,

Firstly, please understand that i'm not trying to cause trouble, just trying to understand, and you have no reason to feel you need to justify anything.

I completely understand what it is you are saying, and as I have previously said, i don't know what issues you have with GT-R, from reading your previous posts both on here and GT-R i appreciate you are no fool, and believe you have valid points, you say "If Cem or Guy really wanted me to help do you not think that they would have emailed me or pm'd me or for that fact tried to speak to Martin or Richard here, no, just silence", that suggests to me that you would be willing to at least listen to any ideas that may benefit ALL owners as a whole. Shin has also said he's open to discussions as to combining Only the clubs, (not the forums) so Yourself and Shin are prepared to at least talk, that is a step forward.

You also say "I dont think it is possible to have one club as we are both fundamentally different", I don't want to cause any friction between anyone, but could you tell me what are these fundamental differences, i appreciate that there is a money issue, but nothing that can't be resolved, and would it be correct to assume that eventually the owners of this site, if it becomes as successful as GT-R (and i hope it does) and has as many members, this site will too, eventually will become expensive to run, and as such we will be left with two identical Forums, and two identical clubs, striving to (money aside) reach identical goals.
As much as i appreciate you have had problems with GT-R, couldn't a hatchet or two be buried in the interests of all the owners?
Tobes.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts