Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
brett
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever driven or owned a Mitsubishi gto twin turbo and what are they like comparing to a skyline?

·
Registered
391 Posts
There's no comparison mate, the skyline is in a completely different league, drove both, I won an r33 but before that I had a st205 gtfour which I picked over a gto, skyline just blows them both out the water IMO.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Gtos are like tanks aren't they I'd imagine they'd need slot more power to be the same, I'd imagine there nice to be in etc

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
i think a gto would be more comparable to a gtr ive also been in a 450 bhp gto and it did shift only downside is they are a very big car

·
Registered
391 Posts
been in a 450 bhp one and that felt bloody fast but in all honesty a 400bhp gtst feels more savage somehow - cant really say why.
Totally agree with that, the one I was buying was highly modified, I then got a pretty stock skyline and it was a lot better drive/power delivery. Now I have stage 1 parts it just drowns the gto, I really did want to like the gto but I genuinely couldn't.

·
brett
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i know Its a different sort of car to the rear drive skyline,my gtst feels very quick and arse end happy but i wouldnt mind a gto as i like big cars and Its all wheel drive so must handle alot better than the gtst round the bends...

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
What do you want car for then question would be easier to answer and what skyline are you wanting to compare

·
brett
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i have a gtst but wouldnt mind something different aswell that is better on traction around the bends.

·
brett
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im not arguing atal,i love my skylines and always will.i just wanted abit of comparison between power and handling differences as to whether i think Its suitable for what Im thinking of.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I owned a gto twin turbo which was lightly modified and currently have an r32 gtr pushing 400 bhp. To be honest i prefer the skyline, but there isn't a whole lot in it. The GTO would have it on top speed , but the skyline has better acceleration and handling. A GTO is like a tank on the road, pretty wide and unless the suspension is uprated it can be like a boat. There is also alot more to go wrong with the GTO, heaps of electrics, active suspension, active aero etc and they are hard to work on due to the extreme lack of space in the engine bay, and the rear subframe has to be dropped if the steering pipes going to the rear steering rack leak, which they will. Having said that a very decent one can be picked up for anywhere between 2-3 k. Great car for that money.

Here is a good drag race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukVsqR66ldE

·
Everybody knows that the bird is the word
9,198 Posts
Anyone know if they're sequential or simultaneous twin turbo...?
As many of you will know.... here in NZ our roads are mostly Japanese (I'd put it at around 75% ish) so we have a lot of Japanese sports cars... GTOs are fairly common to see but I never see any that are modified. They seem to be more a mid-life crisis car. They're too heavy to be a real sports car, ridiculously hard to work on (if you drop a spanner in the engine bay, consider it lost), aftermarket parts just aren't really out there (no aftermarket intercooler kits or even exhausts are available on my local auction site).
Why ....? I'm not sure. Maybe they're not overly reliable, or under engineered so can't take an increase in power without throwing serious cash at it. The weight will be a huge disadvantage in straight line acceleration and around corners. Fulltime 4wd = training wheels :D

I consider the GTO a faux sports car - they've got the looks and engine... but as a complete package there is something not quite right.
The GTR is designed and built to be a race car and that's exactly how it performs

I remember I gave one a go in my old (and relatively stock) R33 25-t - I absolutely blitzed it

·
Registered
867 Posts
Well i have a gtst but wouldnt mind something different aswell that is better on traction around the bends.
Personally, I'd opt for either a tidy scooby, evo, or pulsar gtir. My old pulsar would stick like **** to a blanket and it was pretty stock. As others have said, the GTO is a heavy beast so won't corner anything like how you would expect the 4wheel drive system to offer.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I had a GTO, Four wheel drive, four wheel steering. Yeah it handled well and was nice to drive but you could always feel the weight of the car which spoilt it a bit. It was just too big. Compered to the Skyline it could never compare.

I have had loads of car's from XR2's through RS Turbo's and Celica GT4's etc and driven my mates 400hp evo 8 and Impreza P1 but the best car for handling by far is my Skyline..

·
Women make the worrior weak
624 Posts
Lol i think some people are bei biased.. ive owned a 400bhp gtr and a 415bhp gto and the gto is a secret weapon its not slow and heavy.. u all compare it to tbe mk1 the 3000gt is an animal hwoarang has a 506bhp 3000gt and he runs a 11.6 1/4 how is that slow it weighs 1600kg so please shake ur heads and get with tbe times the mk2 and 3000gt are cars not to be underestimated... as they will spank alot of gtr's with big ego's... and im a skyline lover

1 - 20 of 46 Posts