Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
250+ Horses and 1 Jocky!
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First of all thanks for looking.

I really need some basic advise on Skylines. I will hopefully be a proud owner of an R33 GTS-T later today (pending on the weather). I am doing a straight swap with my BMW 330i SE - Before this I was a Vauxhall fan - I sold back in May 09 an Astra VXR Nurburgring which I tuned to 310bhp.

I bought the BMW to get used to a rear wheel drive car, had some fun but now its time to move on.

What I would like to know is what I should look out for on theese car's? this will be my first Jap car so any advise would really be appreciated. If all goes to plan, with any luck I'll hopefully attend some meets in the South Bucks area.

Thanks for any advise in advance

Oh and although a little late - Happy New Year to all

Dave

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Hi and welcome

Ill tell you what i did when i got mine

First thing i did was join this site

Then done a search "buyers guide" "common faults"

If yours is stock

Then serviced the thing regardless of what the garage said or didnt say
spark plugs
oil coolent and brake fluid change
cambelt (water pump while the cambelts off)

Coil packs and air flow meters are common problems

Clutch may also need changing around 100km

I could go on for ever but be prepaired to be skint

·
250+ Horses and 1 Jocky!
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol, the common thing I do get told is being prepared to be skint :-( but then the BMW has cost me a fortune anyways so I guess there will be no change there.. :)

Thanks for the advise by the way, I'll look in the "Common Faults" section and pick up a few things.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Its not actually that bad ive had mine a few years it has served me better then any newer eco euro crap ive had................ BUT.................... i look after it.

As long as you look after it and dont leave bits or cut corners it will look after you.

Ive had bigger bills for newer cars and less work but then most of the work i do myself as its relatively easy to work on.

Oh watch out for snapped manifold studs

but above all

everyone here will tell you about the skyline smile you get from this car is worth every penny

You will understand that soon.

·
Highland/North Scotland Area Rep
4,160 Posts
arches as said and look at the strut tops...look under boot carpet for common leak in boot (not major problem) but can lead to rust

you'll be skint owning one but its worth every penny :D

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
lovly cars..but as stated...the strut tops in the engine bay on the seams are ****ers for going... either treat it n leave..or play safe n get the whole top... treated n resprayed..shudnt cost much...also if its a fresh import watch for poor crash damage repairs...the japs are a bit **** at repairing smashes sometimes.

·
stuck in the middle .....with you
8,249 Posts
and check for water in the boot,i looked at one once that had a swimming pool in the boot,also badly modded cars example if it has had a manual bleed valve fitted etc

·
250+ Horses and 1 Jocky!
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He had an R34 which was swapped with this I think, reading back at the thread I posted earlier: http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=86979

I'll take on board what everyone has advised and basically have a good look over... anyone who live in the South Bucks area is more than welcome to come look with me :) (i'm still waiting for him to get in touch so we can do the swap)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.