Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So picked up my new car yesterday, a 1996 Nissan Stagea RS4 and here she is:

Plans were to strip it but kind of like it how it is so going to leave the interior for now.

Aiming to convert it to a manual and up the power to around 400hp, while keeping the exterior the same.

Thoughts and opinions welcome!

·
Thinks he can Drift
2,619 Posts
dont strip :) its not worth it for what little weight you loose. are you going rwd or keeping altezza?

·
Forum Police
177 Posts
Looks a nice clean base and not something that's as common as a penny either!

One of my all time favourite cars and if I ever needed an estate or something bigger this would be first on my hitlist!

Look forward to seeing your plans come to life and the car progress. Skyline front end swap maybe? ;)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keeping the front end standard for now as the swap makes it look sporty and that's not what I'm going for. Was going to make it rwd to be a drift slag but now it's not been stripped and keeping it slightly more serious looking into keeping the awd if I can, probably using the r33 gts4 gearbox with an uprated excedy clutch to handle the extra power.

Debadged the back taking off the RS4 and Nismo badges, as well as some jdm stickers so it looks even less special:

Will probably clean the nismo and rs4 badges up to put in the engine bay.

Did also try my 18" rota gtrs on it, unfortunately they were too wide and tbh made it less of a sleeper.

·
Registered
768 Posts
...probably using the r33 gts4 gearbox with an uprated excedy clutch to ...
I think you mean r32 gts4 they never did that in the r33

Although I think a GTR gearbox would be much stronger...

Not sure if the 6 speed r34 GTR box fits or not...

Did also try my 18" rota gtrs on it, unfortunately they were too wide and tbh made it less of a sleeper.
I'm guessing that's more off an offset issue than a width issue...?

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
As above you got a non turbo 4 wd 33 in four door

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah you're right podge, is the r32.

Managed to get the rotas on but the springs would have rubbed if I'd taken it off the jack. If they were anymore offset they would have been sticking out the arches which I don't really want.

Looking forward to seeing this one evolve :)
Me too!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Coilovers will be ordered soon.

Also after some mats, although looking at having to pay an arm and a leg to import them :/

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, carpets pretty pale and don't want to ruin it. Am I ok to nick them off you later so I can try?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First bit of kit came today:

Not going for a full audio install but wanted a half decent ipod compatible headunit.

Had a bit of a bash at putting it in but didn't get chance as it was getting dark. Did get it all plugged in and it wouldn't switch on, there seems to be some wires going into the couplers on the car side that appear to have come apart at some dodgy crimps. I'll have a better look at the weekend and probably solder them back together.

Also found that its a very tight squeeze trying to get it into place, I don't think the cage will fit in around it, but again will have a proper look at the weekend.

·
Administrator
25,964 Posts
The stereo bolts to the original cage in the dash

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah took a torch out and had a better look. Want to get the wiring sorted before I take the dash apart to fit it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had to solder a few bits and pieces, but managed to get it all sorted:

Only problem is that because of the surround the headunits own surround can't fit in which looks a bit untidy. Might butcher some bits onto the surround when I put the manual box in as will need to repaint it then anyway.

Next stop, suspension.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The cars gone into the body shop today, getting the rust below the wing mirrors and near the front springs sorted out, and the few marks on it are being repainted.

The postmans been my friend:

The first few parts to start to get the project properly off the road, these should be going on this weekend providing the weather is ok.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts